Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

transgender - what's your opinion? (*EDIT IN BLUE*)

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM
  • 167 Replies

this has nothing to do with me or my family personally but my husband and i just got into a huge fight over it. i accept everyone for who they are and what decisions they decide to make with their life and/or body. i don't believe anyone has the right to tell someone they can or can't do something to THEIR body. my husband is the complete opposite, he said people who are transgender are unnatural and wrong. he believes they should make it illegal to have a sex change. he even went as far as saying that if our daughter decided she wasn't happy as a girl and wanted to be a boy that he would disown her and walk out of her life. when i told him i would stick beside her and support her he told me "well then we would be over." my response: "fine, but i refuse to walk away from my child." he said I'M close minded and stupid for thinking that transgender people are ok but i personally think HE is the one that is close minded. anyway, my point to this post is to get everyone else's opinion on the subject.

so, what is your opinion?

*EDIT- i decided to change the subject title because i realized after several responses i did phrase it incorrectly, it's not an issue that you can be "for or against". so let me just simply ask, what is your opinion on the subject?*

please don't bash anyone else for their opinions, it is THEIR opinion.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
parentalrights1
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
He is a moron. It doesn't matter if he thinks it is wrong because noone is making him participate. It doesn't effect him in the least if someone changes genders. Ultimately they still have male or female organs, they just had surgery to alter their appearance. No different than breast implants.

Since when is "nature" relevant? Humans do unnatural shit all the time.

I don't know how you can stand to married to someone who would disown his child. He shouldn't be a parent
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Doesn't matter to me. People need to be what they are (or what they feel they are). Everyone has to live their own life. They need to do what is most comfortable for them.

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I think it's a personal decision that everyone has to make for themselves, and if an adult decided to switch genders it wouldn't affect how I would feel towards them. It certainly wouldn't change my love for my daughter.

parentalrights1
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM
And he needs to look up the definition of closed minded. Being open to transgenderism is OPEN minded. Being against it is CLOSED minded
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM
4 moms liked this

I made it perfectly clear to my Husband that I would put him out before I would allow him to put a child out for being Gay Lesbian or Trans

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I have no problem with it, but my husband might be a lot like yours. I don't think he would disown our children or end our relationship, but I know he would not be supportive.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:52 AM
2 moms liked this

I think that it's a complicated condition and people need to do what they need to in order to feel right in their bodies.  It isn't as simple as waking up one day and saying "I want to be a boy" and scheduling the procedures.  

slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this
...He sounds like a dick. He doesn't like it so he thinks it should be illegal? Ridiculous.

I genuinely cannot understand people that get so upset over something so harmless that has literally no effect on them whatsoever.
ZoeysMom11
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM
he said he would always love her but that he would not be a part of her life if that happened. this is the first time we've argued about something of this level and it is extremely hard to wrap my head around his views. what i dont understand is he is fine with people being gay, why the hell is THIS a problem?

Quoting parentalrights1:

He is a moron. It doesn't matter if he thinks it is wrong because noone is making him participate. It doesn't effect him in the least if someone changes genders. Ultimately they still have male or female organs, they just had surgery to alter their appearance. No different than breast implants.

Since when is "nature" relevant? Humans do unnatural shit all the time.

I don't know how you can stand to married to someone who would disown his child. He shouldn't be a parent
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:01 PM

You'll probably find the "ladies" of CM just as divided as you and your DH.

Personally, I don't care.  WHen one of DH's "guy" friends revealed "he" was CIS and asexual it was actually kind of nice.  The guys felt awkward at first, but me and said person quickly became friends.  "He" identifies as female, and felt awkward b/c at "Guy's Night" she'd really want to be hanging out with us wives.  It was easy for us to shift gears and now everybody is OK with it.  We all have another friend, she is just playing a different role in our lives than was originally anticipated.

DH's problem with it all is no matter what surgical or hormone therapies you use, you willl never become a "true" female.  As in, you can't be pregnant, you can't change your genetics.  He isn't sure what the solution is, and he doesn't judge, but he acknowledges that no matter what, that person won't ever truly be what they feel or want.  He admits some discomfort on the topic, but when we are hanging out as a group, he sees his friend as female because she just blends in with us ladies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN