Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

transgender - what's your opinion? (*EDIT IN BLUE*)

Posted by   + Show Post

this has nothing to do with me or my family personally but my husband and i just got into a huge fight over it. i accept everyone for who they are and what decisions they decide to make with their life and/or body. i don't believe anyone has the right to tell someone they can or can't do something to THEIR body. my husband is the complete opposite, he said people who are transgender are unnatural and wrong. he believes they should make it illegal to have a sex change. he even went as far as saying that if our daughter decided she wasn't happy as a girl and wanted to be a boy that he would disown her and walk out of her life. when i told him i would stick beside her and support her he told me "well then we would be over." my response: "fine, but i refuse to walk away from my child." he said I'M close minded and stupid for thinking that transgender people are ok but i personally think HE is the one that is close minded. anyway, my point to this post is to get everyone else's opinion on the subject.

so, what is your opinion?

*EDIT- i decided to change the subject title because i realized after several responses i did phrase it incorrectly, it's not an issue that you can be "for or against". so let me just simply ask, what is your opinion on the subject?*

please don't bash anyone else for their opinions, it is THEIR opinion.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Replies (11-20):
gammie
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I grow up with a transgender and If you would ask them they would tell you they would wish they could be normal.

What happen with no bashing? Zoeys dh just gave his opion.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM
3 moms liked this

My husband and I have huge disagreements about many things. What's fortunate for you is that you can learn his points of view and share your own. As parents you both get a say in how they're raised and what you want to promote to them as parents.

My husband has some ridiculous, backwards and archaic views regarding people, their race, their religion and how they behave. I told him that if he tried to turn our kids into prejudiced, entitled bigots he was going to be regretful because I'm going to do my best to prevent that from happening. He's my husband, they're our children. I'm less likely to damage their psyche and set them to fail. That's my opinion, and of course I'm right.

[evil laugh]

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't wrap my mind around the thought of a parent walking away from their child because of something their child cannot control. It makes me ill.

parentalrights1
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting ZoeysMom11:

still doesn't redeem him in my eyes. He would abandon her so easily just because he doesn't like what she chooses. That's not love. Love isn't just something you feel but something you do.

Shove a spoon up his peehole for me would ya?
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM
3 moms liked this

How do I feel about transgendered people? I feel sadness for them. I feel sadness because they're own confusion will likely lead to personal struggles that will forever wound them. I feel sadness because, in my experiences with transgendered people, it isn't just about the person who feels awkward in their own skin it affects their family in friends as well as people who know them in the community. The people who are trangendered can only hope that people are patient and understanding.  While your husband may feel it's unnatural the reality is that he doesn't have to feel the way transgendered people do. It would be nice if, at the very least, he could dig up some compassion for the difficulty these people face on a daily basis. He doesn't have to like it. He also doesn;t have to become and advocate for their discomfort and demise.

ZoeysMom11
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM

oh i completely agree! i don't see how you can love someone unconditionally and so willingly walk away over something that isn't a big deal. whose to say if he would keep that state of mind if that actually happened but his dad thinks the same way he does so it shouldn't suprise me he thinks that way. however, it still does not justify his opinion. and trust me i have never wanted to hit him a day in my life and all i can say is that he's lucky i'm not a violent person because i pretty much wanted to break his nose when he said that.

Quoting parentalrights1:

Quoting ZoeysMom11:

still doesn't redeem him in my eyes. He would abandon her so easily just because he doesn't like what she chooses. That's not love. Love isn't just something you feel but something you do.

Shove a spoon up his peehole for me would ya?

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't think it's something you can be for or against.  They exist and aren't going to change because people don't like it or understand it. 

We can either choose to support them, or not.  I choose to support them.

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Quoting Sekirei:

I can't wrap my mind around the thought of a parent walking away from their child because of something their child cannot control. It makes me ill.

control freaks can make for horrible parents because they will likely ot always get their way

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I don't really think you can be "against" a group of people without being a total jerk. IMO, it's like saying people with brown hair or people with ADHD are unnatural and wrong. It seems so small minded i'm surprised that people say it out loud. You don't know what you don't know i guess.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Sekirei:

control freaks can make for horrible parents because they will likely ot always get their way

I guess I got lucky. My dad was, and still is sort of, like that. He is racist, sexist.. etc.

But, because he was gone so much and the only thing we agreed on was video games and horses, his mentality never really sank in. I bet if he had been home more, it may have. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN