Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

transgender - what's your opinion? (*EDIT IN BLUE*)

Posted by   + Show Post

this has nothing to do with me or my family personally but my husband and i just got into a huge fight over it. i accept everyone for who they are and what decisions they decide to make with their life and/or body. i don't believe anyone has the right to tell someone they can or can't do something to THEIR body. my husband is the complete opposite, he said people who are transgender are unnatural and wrong. he believes they should make it illegal to have a sex change. he even went as far as saying that if our daughter decided she wasn't happy as a girl and wanted to be a boy that he would disown her and walk out of her life. when i told him i would stick beside her and support her he told me "well then we would be over." my response: "fine, but i refuse to walk away from my child." he said I'M close minded and stupid for thinking that transgender people are ok but i personally think HE is the one that is close minded. anyway, my point to this post is to get everyone else's opinion on the subject.

so, what is your opinion?

*EDIT- i decided to change the subject title because i realized after several responses i did phrase it incorrectly, it's not an issue that you can be "for or against". so let me just simply ask, what is your opinion on the subject?*

please don't bash anyone else for their opinions, it is THEIR opinion.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Replies (131-140):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Ask your husband why he cares what other people do with their own bodies?

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:20 PM

How did you mean it to be perceived?

Quoting Christine9576:

I didn't mean for it to sound harsh like that..I just never personally knew one. Sorry for the way that was perceived.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Wow. You're just flat out "against" a group of people...

Wow.

Quoting Christine9576:

Against

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:20 PM
It is not for attention. As for suicide, depression is a natural result from hating what you see in the mirror everyday. How would you feel if people called you George and used male pronouns for you and insisted your were male?

Quoting Hislovebug:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Of course it's a disorder! But it's easier to change the body than the brain. Looking for attention?! Are you for real? Do you know what the suicide rate is for transgendered people? Instead of judging, why don't you try to understand better? Do you really think people would surgically alter the most intimate and sensitive parts of their bodies, at thousands of dollars, because they want attention? Do you really think they'd suffer ridicule, abuse, and rejection for attention?

Quoting Hislovebug:

And idc what people say about this I think transgender people are just looking for attention. It's completely different from being gay/lesbian. It's a disorder, you were born in the correct body otherwise you would have been born in the body that suits you...if people don't like my opinion well that's just to bad bc Idgaf :)

I'm not saying dont do it. I am no one to dictate anyone's life. But if you were born a male or female that is what you will always be to me. And yes it is looking for attention. No one is forcing them to kill themeselves. People need to learn to forget what people say. Hey if the tranny is happy then be happy that's great. But personally I still beleive that you are what you where born.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Quoting Hislovebug:

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting Hislovebug:

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Hislovebug:

you were born in the correct body otherwise you would have been born in the body that suits you

Is that a religious belief?

Because, speaking scientifically, nature screws up in all kinds of interesting ways.

Nope, I'm not even a religious person. It's just what I beleive. You where born in the correct body male=man female=woman 

So what is your take on the fact that transgender guys (female to male individuals) have brains that resemble male brains or that transgender women (male to female individuals) have brains that resemble female brains? What about the individuals that identify as both male and female or as neither? Do you then also believe that gender and sex are the same thing?

Resemble male brains? Female brains? Oh I didn't know there was a difference between brains. I think you mean minds? You could be a women thats not transgender and have a mind like a man. And no I know the difference between sex and gender I just beleive that if you were born female you are a woman if you were born male you are a man

What is the difference between a mind and a brain?

Hislovebug
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM

idk why you are so offended. Idc if we beleive in different things its my opinion and if you don't like it well too bad. All I said is what I beleive. You won't change my mind about it or convince me that a male who wants to be a woman is a woman. Sorry but I'm not sorry

Quoting purpleducky:

It is not for attention. As for suicide, depression is a natural result from hating what you see in the mirror everyday. How would you feel if people called you George and used male pronouns for you and insisted your were male?

Quoting Hislovebug:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Of course it's a disorder! But it's easier to change the body than the brain. Looking for attention?! Are you for real? Do you know what the suicide rate is for transgendered people? Instead of judging, why don't you try to understand better? Do you really think people would surgically alter the most intimate and sensitive parts of their bodies, at thousands of dollars, because they want attention? Do you really think they'd suffer ridicule, abuse, and rejection for attention?

Quoting Hislovebug:

And idc what people say about this I think transgender people are just looking for attention. It's completely different from being gay/lesbian. It's a disorder, you were born in the correct body otherwise you would have been born in the body that suits you...if people don't like my opinion well that's just to bad bc Idgaf :)

I'm not saying dont do it. I am no one to dictate anyone's life. But if you were born a male or female that is what you will always be to me. And yes it is looking for attention. No one is forcing them to kill themeselves. People need to learn to forget what people say. Hey if the tranny is happy then be happy that's great. But personally I still beleive that you are what you where born.

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM
I wasn't offended. I was explaining and asking a question, which you didn't answer.

Quoting Hislovebug:

idk why you are so offended. Idc if we beleive in different things its my opinion and if you don't like it well too bad. All I said is what I beleive. You won't change my mind about it or convince me that a male who wants to be a woman is a woman. Sorry but I'm not sorry

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting Hislovebug:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Quoting Hislovebug:

opal10161973
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Not my body, not my concern.  I think everyone should do what they need to do to make themselves happy.  If that means surgery, go for it.  I had a TG girl (from guy) that I used to work with and she was one of the coolest people I ever met in my life.  I never even thought of her as a man.  I mean, you could tell she was at some point, but I didn't see her as anything other than what she presented herself to be. 

Hislovebug
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:31 PM

If someone called me George I would answer them with a grin on my face cus it would be silly, clearly I'm a woman and have woman parts biologically no by surgery. So go ahead and call me George I will lmao 

Quoting purpleducky:

I wasn't offended. I was explaining and asking a question, which you didn't answer.

Quoting Hislovebug:

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting Hislovebug:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Quoting Hislovebug:

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM
If it were to happen to you day in and day out I would get to you and you would most likely correct people. Transgender people are doing no different.

Quoting Hislovebug:

If someone called me George I would answer them with a grin on my face cus it would be silly, clearly I'm a woman and have woman parts biologically no by surgery. So go ahead and call me George I will lmao 

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting Hislovebug:

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting Hislovebug:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Quoting Hislovebug:

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I find it hypocritical that you express that everyone is entitled to THEIR opinion.  Yet, you diss your dh for having his.  =/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)