Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

transgender - what's your opinion? (*EDIT IN BLUE*)

Posted by   + Show Post

this has nothing to do with me or my family personally but my husband and i just got into a huge fight over it. i accept everyone for who they are and what decisions they decide to make with their life and/or body. i don't believe anyone has the right to tell someone they can or can't do something to THEIR body. my husband is the complete opposite, he said people who are transgender are unnatural and wrong. he believes they should make it illegal to have a sex change. he even went as far as saying that if our daughter decided she wasn't happy as a girl and wanted to be a boy that he would disown her and walk out of her life. when i told him i would stick beside her and support her he told me "well then we would be over." my response: "fine, but i refuse to walk away from my child." he said I'M close minded and stupid for thinking that transgender people are ok but i personally think HE is the one that is close minded. anyway, my point to this post is to get everyone else's opinion on the subject.

so, what is your opinion?

*EDIT- i decided to change the subject title because i realized after several responses i did phrase it incorrectly, it's not an issue that you can be "for or against". so let me just simply ask, what is your opinion on the subject?*

please don't bash anyone else for their opinions, it is THEIR opinion.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Replies (141-150):
Hislovebug
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Not really. Those types of things don't get to me I would think its silly. Iknow I'm not George so why get mad? Maybe transgender ppl should have a tougher personality instead of letting comments get to them..

edit all people should stop letting comments get to them

Quoting purpleducky:

If it were to happen to you day in and day out I would get to you and you would most likely correct people. Transgender people are doing no different.

Quoting Hislovebug:

If someone called me George I would answer them with a grin on my face cus it would be silly, clearly I'm a woman and have woman parts biologically no by surgery. So go ahead and call me George I will lmao 

Quoting purpleducky:

I wasn't offended. I was explaining and asking a question, which you didn't answer.

Quoting Hislovebug:

idk why you are so offended. Idc if we beleive in different things its my opinion and if you don't like it well too bad. All I said is what I beleive. You won't change my mind about it or convince me that a male who wants to be a woman is a woman. Sorry but I'm not sorry

Quoting purpleducky:

It is not for attention. As for suicide, depression is a natural result from hating what you see in the mirror everyday. How would you feel if people called you George and used male pronouns for you and insisted your were male?

Quoting Hislovebug:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Of course it's a disorder! But it's easier to change the body than the brain. Looking for attention?! Are you for real? Do you know what the suicide rate is for transgendered people? Instead of judging, why don't you try to understand better? Do you really think people would surgically alter the most intimate and sensitive parts of their bodies, at thousands of dollars, because they want attention? Do you really think they'd suffer ridicule, abuse, and rejection for attention?

Quoting Hislovebug:

And idc what people say about this I think transgender people are just looking for attention. It's completely different from being gay/lesbian. It's a disorder, you were born in the correct body otherwise you would have been born in the body that suits you...if people don't like my opinion well that's just to bad bc Idgaf :)

I'm not saying dont do it. I am no one to dictate anyone's life. But if you were born a male or female that is what you will always be to me. And yes it is looking for attention. No one is forcing them to kill themeselves. People need to learn to forget what people say. Hey if the tranny is happy then be happy that's great. But personally I still beleive that you are what you where born.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Would you feel this way about someone born without legs getting prosthetics, or a deaf person getting a implant to hear?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

It's not my business to judge anyone.  Biblically I am against it because I believe God created us to be what HE created us to be and I don't believe He made mistakes.

But if a person wants to change themselves it is their choice and of course there should be no law against it---other than God's law if you are inclined to follow His Word. 

Exactly.  I don't think she actually believes this, I bet she would have surgery done to save the life of her newborn if that child were born with life threatening birth defects.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Would you feel this way about someone born without legs getting prosthetics, or a deaf person getting a implant to hear?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

It's not my business to judge anyone.  Biblically I am against it because I believe God created us to be what HE created us to be and I don't believe He made mistakes.

But if a person wants to change themselves it is their choice and of course there should be no law against it---other than God's law if you are inclined to follow His Word. 

I just have to shake my head every time I get that question from one of you in here. 

Changing your sex is not the same as being born with a defect that can and should be corrected.  As I said, I don't think God makes mistakes so I don't believe man or woman should alter the sexual organs to be something they were not designed to be.  It's a choice to do that, getting a prosthetic limb if you're born without that limb is not a sin in the eyes of God.

As far as being born deaf, even Christ went around giving sight and hearing to the blind and deaf to those born that way.  I don't think He has a problem with that.  ;)

You're smarter than this sort of question, Lilly.

It is a legitimate question. No one is saying God made a mistake. However, there is scientific proof that transgender people do not resemble the sex they were assigned at birth in regards to brain structures. 

If you know me I don't go much for scientific thought over my Biblical beliefs.

As I said, you are free to choose to be whatever you want to be and there should be no law stopping you. 

Enjoy your penis.  ;)

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

But these people do feel as if they've been born with a defect... the wrong set of genitals. So why shouldn't they be able to fix their defect?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I just have to shake my head every time I get that question from one of you in here. 

Changing your sex is not the same as being born with a defect that can and should be corrected.  As I said, I don't think God makes mistakes so I don't believe man or woman should alter the sexual organs to be something they were not designed to be.  It's a choice to do that, getting a prosthetic limb if you're born without that limb is not a sin in the eyes of God.

As far as being born deaf, even Christ went around giving sight and hearing to the blind and deaf to those born that way.  I don't think He has a problem with that.  ;)

I didn't say they couldn't.  It's their choice to do it,  and their choice to believe as they want...but it's still my belief that it is going against what God created them to be.

No skin off my nose.  ;)

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:53 AM
I know that wasn't what you were suggesting, and I know we won't agree :)

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting kailu1835:

But these people do feel as if they've been born with a defect... the wrong set of genitals. So why shouldn't they be able to fix their defect?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I didn't say they couldn't.  It's their choice to do it,  and their choice to believe as they want...but it's still my belief that it is going against what God created them to be.

No skin off my nose.  ;)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:18 AM
Quoting toomanypoodles:

If you know me I don't go much for scientific thought over my Biblical beliefs.

Reply tagged "POODLES SCIENCE" so I can search for it next time you object to being called "ignorant of science".

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:26 AM
Quoting purpleducky:
Quoting Hislovebug:
Quoting purpleducky:
Quoting Hislovebug:

You were born in the correct body male=man female=woman 

So what is your take on the fact that transgender guys (female to male individuals) have brains that resemble male brains or that transgender women (male to female individuals) have brains that resemble female brains? What about the individuals that identify as both male and female or as neither? Do you then also believe that gender and sex are the same thing?

Resemble male brains? Female brains? Oh I didn't know there was a difference between brains. I think you mean minds? You could be a women thats not transgender and have a mind like a man. And no I know the difference between sex and gender I just beleive that if you were born female you are a woman if you were born male you are a man

No I meant brains as in brain structures. The brain structures of men and women are different just like the brain structures of heterosexual people is different than the brain structures of homosexual people. 

Transsexual differences caught on brain scan

Differences in the brain's white matter that clash with a person's genetic sex may hold the key to identifying transsexual people before puberty. Doctors could use this information to make a case for delaying puberty to improve the success of a sex change later.

Medics are keen to find concrete physical evidence to help those children who feel they are trapped in the body of the opposite sex. One key brain region involved is the BSTc, an area of grey matter. But the region is too small to scan in a living person so differences have only been picked up at post-mortem.

Antonio Guillamon's team at the National University of Distance Education in Madrid, Spain, think they have found a better way to spot a transsexual brain. In a study due to be published next month, the team ran MRI scans on the brains of 18 female-to-male transsexual people who'd had no treatment and compared them with those of 24 males and 19 females.

They found significant differences between male and female brains in four regions of white matter – and the female-to-male transsexual people had white matter in these regions that resembled a male brain (Journal of Psychiatric Research, DOI: 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2010.05.006). "It's the first time it has been shown that the brains of female-to-male transsexual people are masculinised," Guillamon says.

In a separate study, the team used the same technique to compare white matter in 18 male-to-female transsexual people with that in 19 males and 19 females. Surprisingly, in each transsexual person's brain the structure of the white matter in the four regions was halfway between that of the males and females (Journal of Psychiatric Research, DOI: 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2010.11.007). "Their brains are not completely masculinised and not completely feminised, but they still feel female," says Guillamon.

Guillamon isn't sure whether the four regions are at all associated with notions of gender, but Ivanka Savic-Berglund at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden, thinks they might be. One of the four regions – the superior longitudinal fascicle – is particularly interesting, she says. "It connects the parietal lobe [involved in sensory processing] and frontal lobe [involved in planning movement] and may have implications in body perception."

(source: New Scientist)

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:28 AM
You don't think God makes mistakes, but there are thousands of potential defects a person can be born with. There is evidence to support transgenderism as being a defect of the brain. Would you agree with doctors trying to change the transgendered person's brain so they felt like his body's gender?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:45 AM
No it's not. A normal adult who does not have a medical condition should be able to go before leaving the house and hold it long enough to avoid a conflict. Sheesh, as women I'm sure we can all attest to holding it in because a restroom wasn't clean or all that was available was a port a potty! Surely one could at least wait till no one else was in there and if others enter, wait till they're all in their own stalls to exit. I understand people need to go about their lives. I'm just talking about using discretion so that everyone is comfortable.

Quoting kailu1835:

That is completely unrealistic.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Unless the person has IBD or some other medical condition, I think the tactful thing to do is avoid restrooms when there isn't a single, unisex facility.

Quoting Phillymama123:

How would you know? Its stalls. Can you imagine how scary it would be to go in a men's rest room when you present as a woman. How cruel people might be?

Quoting erika9009:

I don't have any problem with it.

Where i draw the line is when a man wanting to be a woman (and dresses that way) insists on using the women's restroom.

If they still have the "guy parts", they need  to use the guy's restroom.

If they are "converted", I have a "square to spare"

chane_L
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

There are those out there that say " i would do or not do this" but in truth you don't really know how you would react until you are in that situation. To have a huge fight over something which at this point is theoretical isn't worth it.  Agree to disagree. Chances are should that ever happen, seeing the pain in his child's eyes would cause a change. Yes, there are unsupportive asshat parents out there , but most love their Gay, Bi, Transgender kid. ( I know I love my Gay daughter to pieces and bits) ( I watched my husbands completely fundamental Baptist preacher family do a total opinion turn when they found out their "Darling 1st" was Gay) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)