Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

transgender - what's your opinion? (*EDIT IN BLUE*)

Posted by   + Show Post

this has nothing to do with me or my family personally but my husband and i just got into a huge fight over it. i accept everyone for who they are and what decisions they decide to make with their life and/or body. i don't believe anyone has the right to tell someone they can or can't do something to THEIR body. my husband is the complete opposite, he said people who are transgender are unnatural and wrong. he believes they should make it illegal to have a sex change. he even went as far as saying that if our daughter decided she wasn't happy as a girl and wanted to be a boy that he would disown her and walk out of her life. when i told him i would stick beside her and support her he told me "well then we would be over." my response: "fine, but i refuse to walk away from my child." he said I'M close minded and stupid for thinking that transgender people are ok but i personally think HE is the one that is close minded. anyway, my point to this post is to get everyone else's opinion on the subject.

so, what is your opinion?

*EDIT- i decided to change the subject title because i realized after several responses i did phrase it incorrectly, it's not an issue that you can be "for or against". so let me just simply ask, what is your opinion on the subject?*

please don't bash anyone else for their opinions, it is THEIR opinion.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Replies (151-160):
CDMelty
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

There is actual medical evidence that being transgender is not a choice and can not be changed. Ben and women have physical differences in their brains. If you hand a brain scan to a neurologist, he can tell you if it's a male or female brain. (hypothalamus size, if I remember correctly)  TG women who were born with male bodies have female brains, and vice versa. It's not a matter of decidng you want to be the opposite sex; it's a matter of knowing that your body was born the wrong sex.

ZoeysMom11
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM
he can have his beliefs and i'll have mine. the only part i'm pissed at him for is the disowning our daughter part. when i wrote this i was fired up because the argument was still fresh. if i came off hypocritical well so be it. he called me stupid and close minded for my opinion so if i "dissed" him a little it was because of that. the only reason i added the no bashing part to my post was to try and prevent arguments between other moms. which hasn't worked but starting such a contraversial subject will do that. i just thought i'd try.

Quoting specialwingz:

I find it hypocritical that you express that everyone is entitled to THEIR opinion.  Yet, you diss your dh for having his.  =/

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM

This subject has not affected me personally, therefore, it is difficult to have an opinion either way.  

Christine9576
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Quoting futureshock:
I guess it came out wrong...and I truly apologize to anyone I've offended.

How did you mean it to be perceived?

Quoting Christine9576:

I didn't mean for it to sound harsh like that..I just never personally knew one. Sorry for the way that was perceived.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Wow. You're just flat out "against" a group of people...

Wow.

Quoting Christine9576:

Against

CDMelty
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but not all opinions are worthy of respect. It's a distinction not a lot of people can pick up on, but it's there.  You're entitled to the opinion that caterpillars turn into semi trucks, but it's not very likely that people are going to go, "Yep, I can respect that. Seems plausible and rational to me."

Quoting specialwingz:

I find it hypocritical that you express that everyone is entitled to THEIR opinion.  Yet, you diss your dh for having his.  =/

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:48 PM
When I have to go I have to go, dirty restroom or not. I hover. If a person is dressed as the opposite sex, and lives as the opposite sex, they should not be told they cannot use the bathroom of the sex they identify as.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

No it's not. A normal adult who does not have a medical condition should be able to go before leaving the house and hold it long enough to avoid a conflict. Sheesh, as women I'm sure we can all attest to holding it in because a restroom wasn't clean or all that was available was a port a potty! Surely one could at least wait till no one else was in there and if others enter, wait till they're all in their own stalls to exit. I understand people need to go about their lives. I'm just talking about using discretion so that everyone is comfortable.

Quoting kailu1835:

That is completely unrealistic.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Unless the person has IBD or some other medical condition, I think the tactful thing to do is avoid restrooms when there isn't a single, unisex facility.

Quoting Phillymama123:

How would you know? Its stalls. Can you imagine how scary it would be to go in a men's rest room when you present as a woman. How cruel people might be?

Quoting erika9009:

I don't have any problem with it.

Where i draw the line is when a man wanting to be a woman (and dresses that way) insists on using the women's restroom.

If they still have the "guy parts", they need  to use the guy's restroom.

If they are "converted", I have a "square to spare"

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

You don't think God makes mistakes, but there are thousands of potential defects a person can be born with. There is evidence to support transgenderism as being a defect of the brain. Would you agree with doctors trying to change the transgendered person's brain so they felt like his body's gender?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Would you feel this way about someone born without legs getting prosthetics, or a deaf person getting a implant to hear?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

It's not my business to judge anyone.  Biblically I am against it because I believe God created us to be what HE created us to be and I don't believe He made mistakes.

But if a person wants to change themselves it is their choice and of course there should be no law against it---other than God's law if you are inclined to follow His Word. 

I just have to shake my head every time I get that question from one of you in here. 

Changing your sex is not the same as being born with a defect that can and should be corrected.  As I said, I don't think God makes mistakes so I don't believe man or woman should alter the sexual organs to be something they were not designed to be.  It's a choice to do that, getting a prosthetic limb if you're born without that limb is not a sin in the eyes of God.

As far as being born deaf, even Christ went around giving sight and hearing to the blind and deaf to those born that way.  I don't think He has a problem with that.  ;)

You're smarter than this sort of question, Lilly.

Oh aye, yi, yi.

Really?  lol

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:51 AM
OK, let's back up a d try to be clear on this. What do you believe transgenderism is, Poodles? How would you explain this too your children? Is it a choice? Is it a mental disorder? Is it a brain defect, as I stated?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

You don't think God makes mistakes, but there are thousands of potential defects a person can be born with. There is evidence to support transgenderism as being a defect of the brain. Would you agree with doctors trying to change the transgendered person's brain so they felt like his body's gender?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Would you feel this way about someone born without legs getting prosthetics, or a deaf person getting a implant to hear?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

It's not my business to judge anyone.  Biblically I am against it because I believe God created us to be what HE created us to be and I don't believe He made mistakes.

But if a person wants to change themselves it is their choice and of course there should be no law against it---other than God's law if you are inclined to follow His Word. 

I just have to shake my head every time I get that question from one of you in here. 

Changing your sex is not the same as being born with a defect that can and should be corrected.  As I said, I don't think God makes mistakes so I don't believe man or woman should alter the sexual organs to be something they were not designed to be.  It's a choice to do that, getting a prosthetic limb if you're born without that limb is not a sin in the eyes of God.

As far as being born deaf, even Christ went around giving sight and hearing to the blind and deaf to those born that way.  I don't think He has a problem with that.  ;)

Oh aye, yi, yi.

Really?  lol

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:52 AM
You're entitled to your opinion. I was speaking of using discretion, not telling people what to do.

Quoting kailu1835:

When I have to go I have to go, dirty restroom or not. I hover. If a person is dressed as the opposite sex, and lives as the opposite sex, they should not be told they cannot use the bathroom of the sex they identify as.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

No it's not. A normal adult who does not have a medical condition should be able to go before leaving the house and hold it long enough to avoid a conflict. Sheesh, as women I'm sure we can all attest to holding it in because a restroom wasn't clean or all that was available was a port a potty! Surely one could at least wait till no one else was in there and if others enter, wait till they're all in their own stalls to exit. I understand people need to go about their lives. I'm just talking about using discretion so that everyone is comfortable.

Quoting kailu1835:

That is completely unrealistic.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Unless the person has IBD or some other medical condition, I think the tactful thing to do is avoid restrooms when there isn't a single, unisex facility.

Quoting Phillymama123:

How would you know? Its stalls. Can you imagine how scary it would be to go in a men's rest room when you present as a woman. How cruel people might be?

Quoting erika9009:

I don't have any problem with it.

Where i draw the line is when a man wanting to be a woman (and dresses that way) insists on using the women's restroom.

If they still have the "guy parts", they need  to use the guy's restroom.

If they are "converted", I have a "square to spare"

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

OK, let's back up a d try to be clear on this. What do you believe transgenderism is, Poodles? How would you explain this too your children? Is it a choice? Is it a mental disorder? Is it a brain defect, as I stated?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Oh aye, yi, yi.

Really?  lol

Just a choice.  No brain disorder or mental illness. 

I don't need to back up---I am clear on this---and you know my feelings.  ;)

'Nuff said. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN