Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

transgender - what's your opinion? (*EDIT IN BLUE*)

Posted by   + Show Post

this has nothing to do with me or my family personally but my husband and i just got into a huge fight over it. i accept everyone for who they are and what decisions they decide to make with their life and/or body. i don't believe anyone has the right to tell someone they can or can't do something to THEIR body. my husband is the complete opposite, he said people who are transgender are unnatural and wrong. he believes they should make it illegal to have a sex change. he even went as far as saying that if our daughter decided she wasn't happy as a girl and wanted to be a boy that he would disown her and walk out of her life. when i told him i would stick beside her and support her he told me "well then we would be over." my response: "fine, but i refuse to walk away from my child." he said I'M close minded and stupid for thinking that transgender people are ok but i personally think HE is the one that is close minded. anyway, my point to this post is to get everyone else's opinion on the subject.

so, what is your opinion?

*EDIT- i decided to change the subject title because i realized after several responses i did phrase it incorrectly, it's not an issue that you can be "for or against". so let me just simply ask, what is your opinion on the subject?*

please don't bash anyone else for their opinions, it is THEIR opinion.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Replies (21-30):
FrogSalad
by Sooze on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Neither can I and part of me thinks that the OP's husband is only saying that because he doesn't think it will really ever happen.  A lot of people change their minds when it's someone they love. 

Then again, some don't.

Quoting Sekirei:

I can't wrap my mind around the thought of a parent walking away from their child because of something their child cannot control. It makes me ill.

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Sekirei:

I can't wrap my mind around the thought of a parent walking away from their child because of something their child cannot control. It makes me ill.

control freaks can make for horrible parents because they will likely ot always get their way

I guess I got lucky. My dad was, and still is sort of, like that. He is racist, sexist.. etc.

But, because he was gone so much and the only thing we agreed on was video games and horses, his mentality never really sank in. I bet if he had been home more, it may have. 

My mom is an ignorant, sterotyping bigot who refuses to believe that she is.

Mom had a yard sale last fall and haggled with a lady over a chair. The potential buyer wanted to give my mom a few dollars less. My mom told her she wasn't going to let her 'jew her down'. I could feel myself backing away. I can't imagine the look of horror on my face. She's a winner! lmao

ZoeysMom11
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM
2 moms liked this

i would hope if the situation actually arose that he wouldn't leave her but i don't know. all i know is that if he did, then that's that for us. i won't leave my child. my dad left me when i was young and it hurt to grow up without that and even as an adult it still hurts that he was never there. so i refuse to let my daughter lose both parents, if it comes to that and he walks away then he walks away from both of us.

Quoting FrogSalad:

Neither can I and part of me thinks that the OP's husband is only saying that because he doesn't think it will really ever happen.  A lot of people change their minds when it's someone they love. 

Then again, some don't.

Quoting Sekirei:

caito
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry you're married to such a dickweed.

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Ummm...for, lol.

punky3175
by Punky on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Neither.  It's not something to be "for" or "against." 

I think people should be free to live their lives however they choose as long as they aren't harming anyone else. 

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:01 PM

For..... your husband is close minded and cruel. 

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Quoting FrogSalad:

I don't think it's something you can be for or against.  They exist and aren't going to change because people don't like it or understand it. 

We can either choose to support them, or not.  I choose to support them.

This is what I was going to say. Thanks for typing it out for me. :)

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Whatever makes them happy.  If it doesn't affect me, then I don't care what anyone else does.  I have worked with 2 gentlemen that decided to become women and I will say that both of these are MUCH MUCH happier as women than men.  It is a long, sometimes painful, journey these people have, so it isn't a frivolous decision.  I will say the only think that gets my goat is when men who become women say stupid things that prove they still think like a man.  Being a woman is more than boobs and a vagina...

Bitchess
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:33 PM

My middle sister was over one time and talking about the last cruise she was on and she used that term. It really took hubby and I by surprise and made for a few minutes of awkward silence.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Sekirei:

control freaks can make for horrible parents because they will likely ot always get their way

I guess I got lucky. My dad was, and still is sort of, like that. He is racist, sexist.. etc.

But, because he was gone so much and the only thing we agreed on was video games and horses, his mentality never really sank in. I bet if he had been home more, it may have. 

My mom is an ignorant, sterotyping bigot who refuses to believe that she is.

Mom had a yard sale last fall and haggled with a lady over a chair. The potential buyer wanted to give my mom a few dollars less. My mom told her she wasn't going to let her 'jew her down'. I could feel myself backing away. I can't imagine the look of horror on my face. She's a winner! lmao

boo   Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)