Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

transgender - what's your opinion? (*EDIT IN BLUE*)

Posted by   + Show Post

this has nothing to do with me or my family personally but my husband and i just got into a huge fight over it. i accept everyone for who they are and what decisions they decide to make with their life and/or body. i don't believe anyone has the right to tell someone they can or can't do something to THEIR body. my husband is the complete opposite, he said people who are transgender are unnatural and wrong. he believes they should make it illegal to have a sex change. he even went as far as saying that if our daughter decided she wasn't happy as a girl and wanted to be a boy that he would disown her and walk out of her life. when i told him i would stick beside her and support her he told me "well then we would be over." my response: "fine, but i refuse to walk away from my child." he said I'M close minded and stupid for thinking that transgender people are ok but i personally think HE is the one that is close minded. anyway, my point to this post is to get everyone else's opinion on the subject.

so, what is your opinion?

*EDIT- i decided to change the subject title because i realized after several responses i did phrase it incorrectly, it's not an issue that you can be "for or against". so let me just simply ask, what is your opinion on the subject?*

please don't bash anyone else for their opinions, it is THEIR opinion.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Replies (31-40):
erika9009
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I don't have any problem with it.

Where i draw the line is when a man wanting to be a woman (and dresses that way) insists on using the women's restroom.

If they still have the "guy parts", they need  to use the guy's restroom.

If they are "converted", I have a "square to spare"

RunningMommaof2
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:38 PM
I'm not for or against. It's not my body... And out of all the things people do, why would I care what gender people associate themselves with? It's not hurting anyone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:39 PM

First, I wouldn't be happy being married to someone like that at all.

Second, I have no problem with it. My dh and I had these talks before we had kids and we both always said we would accept and love our childrne no matter what.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:43 PM

As a side note, how do people marry someone so different for them? Aren't these things people discuss before marriage and kids?

My dh and I do not agree on everything. However, FUndamentally we agree on how we want to live, raise our children, etc.

nickysmom71
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM

All for it....I have no room to tell a person what they can or cannot do...

Ultra_
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I'm not FOR it, but not against it. I don't think it should be illegal. If they want to, then fine. There are certainly some issues there.

doomshroom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM
I'm with you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GLWerth
by Gina on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I'm not "for" or "against" it.

It is a fact for some people and it isn't my place to tell them that their lives are right or wrong.

If one of my boys decided he was better off as a woman, I'd probably be shocked and have weird feelings about it for a while, but in the end, he'd still be my child and I'd deal with whatever he needed me to.

ZoeysMom11
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:05 PM

we do agree on most things when it comes to raising our daughter. this was the first time a "transgender" discussion was brought up between us. i just happened to see a video online about a man's transformation and dh started the argument. he has no problem with people being gay or lesbian but this bothers him. it doesn't make sense to me but that's his opinion. as far as our daughter is concerned if the situation ever came up and he stuck with his decision to walk away then he would walk away from both of us. in every other way we're the same. this is the first topic that we ever seriously differed from each other. we've been together for almost 4 years and we have our differences but no more then a normal couple. this one topic was just a sore spot for him apparently. even though i think he overreacted that's his opinion.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

As a side note, how do people marry someone so different for them? Aren't these things people discuss before marriage and kids?

My dh and I do not agree on everything. However, FUndamentally we agree on how we want to live, raise our children, etc.

jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I don't know if you can really be for or against it. I am for people having the right to be who they feel they are inside. If they feel they are the opposite sex they should be able to live life that way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN