Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you plan to see Zero Dark Thirty?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:05 PM
  • 55 Replies

'Zero Dark Thirty': Protests At Premiere In Washington DC

Another day, another round of controversy for "Zero Dark Thirty."The film -- which, if you can believe it, is still not out nationwide -- premiered at the Newseum in Washington DC on Tuesday night, where members of Amnesty International and 9/11 "Truthers" were on hand to protest the event.

According to THR, the protesters -- some of whom were dressed like prisoners -- held signs calling "Zero Dark Thirty" Pentagon-produced propagandaand worse. "Cruel, Inhuman and Degrading" read one of the signs, a reference to the film's sequences of torture. In "Zero Dark Thirty," a prisoner is waterboarded for information about future terror attacks; later, the same prisoner gives up the code name of Osama bin Laden's courier, a key piece of information that comes into play years later during the bin Laden manhunt. (Whether the protesters have actually seen "Zero Dark Thirty" is unclear.)

"Zero Dark Thirty" has become a lightning rod of political discourse. Lawmakers, including Senators John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Diane Feinstein (D-Calif.), have slammed the movie for its supposed endorsement of enhanced interrogation tactics.

"We believe the film is grossly inaccurate and misleading in its suggestion that torture resulted in information that led to the location of [Osama] bin Laden," wrote Sens. Feinstein, McCain and Carl Levin (D-Mich.) in a letter to "Zero Dark Thirty" studio Sony in December.

"[T]he truth is that multiple streams of intelligence led CIA analysts to conclude that bin Laden was hiding in Abbottabad," countered CIA director Michael Morell in a statement. "Some came from detainees subjected to enhanced interrogation techniques, but there were many other sources as well."

At the Washington DC premiere, director Kathryn Bigelow didn't comment on the protesters, but did discuss the debate "Zero Dark Thirty" has created.

http://www.zerodarkthirty-movie.com/

I saw a screener of it this weekend. I thought it was excellent and plan to see it at the theatre.

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I hadn't heard of it before this post. To answer the question, no, it's not my type of movie.  

My daughter and I want to go see Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters

:)

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Yes, my dh and I will go see it. 

I am almost finished with "No Easy Day"...my dh has read it and said I have to finish it before seeing the movie...even though the movie is not based on the book...it will help me make sense of some stuff.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Haven't heard of it.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Nope. Not interested whatsoever.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Yes, my dh and I will go see it. 

I am almost finished with "No Easy Day"...my dh has read it and said I have to finish it before seeing the movie...even though the movie is not based on the book...it will help me make sense of some stuff.

I think it would be beneficial to have some background info. I mean beyond what we already know from MSM.

It was a little difficult to watch, especially in the beginning.

I hope lots of  people see it so we can talk about the enhanced interrogation/torture in the movie. I wonder if people will think, the cost was worth the benefit. After seeing the movie i went from a solid "no" to a solid "i don't know".

darlingdaisy
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Hell No.  I don't watch Obama propaganda.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I'm sure I'll see it eventually...

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Yes, because I see all war movies.  But I'd likely side with someone who knows what the hell he is talking about, like former POW McCain on this one.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting darlingdaisy:

Hell No.  I don't watch Obama propaganda.

It's not about Obama. I don't even think his name is mentioned. 

Keep drinking that kool-aid instead of thinking for yourself though. It's much easier.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM
No plans to see it in theater or rent it, but I'd give it a chance if it came on my cable.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN