Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I have an acquaintance that recently opened a second hand/antique type store. We're not friends, but I know her. I've been to her store because it's a local business and I like to support small businesses within the community.

So! I've also bumped into this woman at a couple of estate auctions, yard sales as well as Goodwill. She's been selling jewelry and some other items she's purchased from Goodwill in her store at a steep mark up.

Is that shady?

There has been some bickering on FB about it. My thoughts are that she is bringing items to people who might not have an opportunity to look for them elsewhere. Does it matter where she buys the merchandise that she sells in her store?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Replies (11-20):
Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Good business. Tons of people hunt goodwill stores for things that are worth money, turn around and sell them for high prices
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Are they actually antiques? Is she saying something is antique that isnt?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I would hope that people are smart enough to realize if an item is misrepresented or overpriced.  It's the consumers responsibility to look after their own pocketbook.  Now if she were claiming antiquities under false documentation or making marking on items that are NOT what she claims them to be, that is fraud. 

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Are they actually antiques? Is she saying something is antique that isnt?

As far as I know, no. The only hissyfit seems to be her prices.

Lurion
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Well where else do you think that stuff comes from?! What do you find "acceptable" sources of vintage/antique goods? 

Absolutely NOT shady. That's the business she's in. 

She's buying a product, then taking on the expenses of marketing it, pays the rent, electricity, etc. on the store, probably has to make repairs on some items, taking on the risk that no one will buy it, etc. 

If the people want to spend their time going to garage sales and Goodwill, no problem. 

erika9009
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I'm sorry,

How is this even shady at all?  this is a normal business practice. 

You friend does the work by going to auctions, Goodwill, yard sales, whatever and gets what she thinks people in her store will want.  She does the work.

She then charges what she thinks she can get for it. 

You should be applauding her for making money for herself.   This is the NORMAL way it should be done.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Quoting erika9009:

I'm sorry,

You friend does the work by going to auctions, Goodwill, yard sales, whatever and gets what she thinks people in her store will want.  She does the work.

You should be applauding her for making money for herself.   This is the NORMAL way it should be done.

did you miss my remarks within the OP?

nickysmom71
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM

This is a regular practice at all types of 2nd hand stores, and regular stores. The consumer will still get a good deal and the store owner will be able to pay some bills. I used to be a sales/marketing rep for a wholesale company, we sold the product in bulk for wayyyyyyyyyy less than what stores marked it up for - say they bought something at 1.00 from us, they would sell it for 19.99.  How do you think anyone makes money???

nickysmom71
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:49 PM

It's also called re-selling when it's a second hand shop, online store, etc...

My friend has an awesome business doing this.  She lost her job, was searching on the free items on Craigslist, and all the good stuff that she could re-sell, she picked up, cleaned it up, refurbished it and sold it.  This is now what she does for a living.  We live in NYC so she makes a killing with all the good free stuff people give away here. 

erika9009
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting erika9009:

I'm sorry,

did you miss my remarks within the OP?

Well, no, but the op asks if it's shady and my response (as well as hers I will say) was that it's perfectly fine.

I was miffed that people would even have a concern or thought it was shady in the first place, but it is the Internet, LOL

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN