Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I have an acquaintance that recently opened a second hand/antique type store. We're not friends, but I know her. I've been to her store because it's a local business and I like to support small businesses within the community.

So! I've also bumped into this woman at a couple of estate auctions, yard sales as well as Goodwill. She's been selling jewelry and some other items she's purchased from Goodwill in her store at a steep mark up.

Is that shady?

There has been some bickering on FB about it. My thoughts are that she is bringing items to people who might not have an opportunity to look for them elsewhere. Does it matter where she buys the merchandise that she sells in her store?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Replies (21-30):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Not at all.

olliesmommy2
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:52 PM
The burden lies on the consumer to be informed. She is just doing business, if people will pay it, why wouldn't she keep charging it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4music
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Not shady at all. Not exactly clever either i suppose, merely business. I suspect those who are complaining simply don't understand business (e.g., overhead and profit margins).

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM
2 moms liked this

You mean it would be unethical if I bought this dog and sold it as a unicorn? Damn.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Are they actually antiques? Is she saying something is antique that isnt?

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Not shady. The ones complaining, I wonder what they would do if they found a multi-million dollar item at Goodwill marked for under $20 (it has happened), would they sell the item and keep the millions, or is that too "shady".

HIJKLM
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:01 PM
I agree

Quoting furbabymum:

I thought all antique shops did that. We always knew which shops around here were at garage sales. Honestly, they acquired the merchandise and are free to price it how they want. As customers we aren't required to buy it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoddessNDaRuff
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Well I can't be mad at her.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Nope, not shady at all---that's good business.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

OneToughMami
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

She is not doing anything that your local pawn shop does not already do. I went to one recently looking to see if they had an lenses (I still use an SLR camera and the parts are becomming harder and harder to find since everyone is digital), I saw someone selling a 70/300 lens, it was something that I wanted for a while...I overheard them give him $20 for it and I was like eh it'll be about $30-40 next week. WRONG! They marked it up to $80! I paid 80 for my camera body and the lens I have.

cammibear
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Not shady. I do the same thing. Only I sell on eBay and Etsy. I work in an antique shop and people buy things in there that they could get on eBay for 1/4 of the price. Some people do not care to bargain hunt. That's good for those in the antique business.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN