Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I have an acquaintance that recently opened a second hand/antique type store. We're not friends, but I know her. I've been to her store because it's a local business and I like to support small businesses within the community.

So! I've also bumped into this woman at a couple of estate auctions, yard sales as well as Goodwill. She's been selling jewelry and some other items she's purchased from Goodwill in her store at a steep mark up.

Is that shady?

There has been some bickering on FB about it. My thoughts are that she is bringing items to people who might not have an opportunity to look for them elsewhere. Does it matter where she buys the merchandise that she sells in her store?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Replies (31-40):
survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I actually worked in a goodwill many yrs ago and there were several customers that had their own shops and bought things at goodwill to sell on their own.  I dont think its shady so much.  There was one lady who irritated me.  She would buy every pair of decent jeans she could find.  I didnt think that was very fair.

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh and I want to say that I often see things at thrift stores I know would sell for much more on ebay and I have considered doing just that.

Like I just bought a lennox vase for 50 cents and there is one just like it on ebay for 150.00

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I bought a Werner bent shaft fiberglass paddle at a yard sale for $10 and turned around and sold it for $250. 

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Not shady IMO.  If she has a good eye and her prices are relatively reasonable, she'll make money. 

erika9009
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I can tell you that if my mom saw that item, she'd tell the good will people and help them get what it's worth.  her "view" on it is that the money would then go to help others.

Quoting AllofFive19:

Not shady. The ones complaining, I wonder what they would do if they found a multi-million dollar item at Goodwill marked for under $20 (it has happened), would they sell the item and keep the millions, or is that too "shady".

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM

It does not matter where she buys her stuff. She is not making any one buy it from her

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Your mom must be an awesome lady!

Quoting erika9009:

I can tell you that if my mom saw that item, she'd tell the good will people and help them get what it's worth.  her "view" on it is that the money would then go to help others.

Quoting AllofFive19:

Not shady. The ones complaining, I wonder what they would do if they found a multi-million dollar item at Goodwill marked for under $20 (it has happened), would they sell the item and keep the millions, or is that too "shady".

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM

That rocks!!!  What a good deal!

Quoting frogbender:

I bought a Werner bent shaft fiberglass paddle at a yard sale for $10 and turned around and sold it for $250. 

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Ahahahahahahhaha

Quoting frogbender:

You mean it would be unethical if I bought this dog and sold it as a unicorn? Damn.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Are they actually antiques? Is she saying something is antique that isnt?

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, she has a store, so it is assumed she buys her stuff somewhere and she spends the time looking for it.  So long as she does not lie, defraud, and take advantage of sellers -which you don't do buying from Goodwill, I have no problem with that. 

I DO have a problem with the blatant liars on Craigslist who buy a table from an unknowledgable party this morning for $25 and try to sell it for $400 this afternoon, suggesting in the ad that "this table (or bed or whatever) didn't get a lot of use so I am selling it" suggesting that the person is the original owner.   They post as "owners" not as a business, which they are indeed running.  I just hate liars.   

No, you are a flipper and I have no use for flippers.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)