Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I have an acquaintance that recently opened a second hand/antique type store. We're not friends, but I know her. I've been to her store because it's a local business and I like to support small businesses within the community.

So! I've also bumped into this woman at a couple of estate auctions, yard sales as well as Goodwill. She's been selling jewelry and some other items she's purchased from Goodwill in her store at a steep mark up.

Is that shady?

There has been some bickering on FB about it. My thoughts are that she is bringing items to people who might not have an opportunity to look for them elsewhere. Does it matter where she buys the merchandise that she sells in her store?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Replies (41-50):
survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Quoting TranquilMind:

Well, she has a store, so it is assumed she buys her stuff somewhere and she spends the time looking for it.  So long as she does not lie, defraud, and take advantage of sellers -which you don't do buying from Goodwill, I have no problem with that. 

I DO have a problem with the blatant liars on Craigslist who buy a table from an unknowledgable party this morning for $25 and try to sell it for $400 this afternoon, suggesting in the ad that "this table (or bed or whatever) didn't get a lot of use so I am selling it" suggesting that the person is the original owner.   They post as "owners" not as a business, which they are indeed running.  I just hate liars.   

No, you are a flipper and I have no use for flippers.   

Yeah, I agree.  Its also shady that they dont list as dealers.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

AMBG825
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:22 PM

One of the things I sell in my Etsy shop is recrafted items. A big seller for me is picture frames. I take a plain frame, crochet an edging for it and attach it to the frame. I then sell the finished product online. Does it really matter if I got the frame brand new or at a yard sale?

personally I prefer to get them from yard sales or good will because not only are they cheapr for me, they are often a better quality than what one can find at Target or Wally World.

N_maricle
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Basically she's a picker. (anyone watch American picker? Great show!) it's nOt shady. It's what many antique shop owners do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:48 PM

It was an awesome find! Those dang things retail at $500 plus. The woman had been cleaning out her attic and was just trying to get rid of a bunch of stuff. I don't think I've ever found anything quite as awesome as that before.

Quoting survivorinohio:

That rocks!!!  What a good deal!

Quoting frogbender:

I bought a Werner bent shaft fiberglass paddle at a yard sale for $10 and turned around and sold it for $250. 

kinleysmom11
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it matters really. I know this isn't really the same but I work in a tanning salon. We buy lotions at a 1/4 of the price that we sell them for. I also make hair bowes. The site I get my supplies off of sell for SUPER cheap. Like 20 cents a daisy, I sell my hair flowers and bowes for anywhere from $4 to $12 dollars depending on how much work I put into them, and my prices are competitive.

Unless she's buying POS jewelry and saying it's something that it's not I don't think she's doing anything wrong.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM

No...it isnt shady its business.  I know full time pickers of goodwill stores who sell on ebay for huge mark up.  Theyve done the footwork and you get to have it without all the looking.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM

If the items are actually selling, then she's a saavy business person. You question is equal to saying that if someone takes something from someone's trash on trash day, they shouldn't sell it, they should only give it away. No....everyone has the right to make a buck.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I see nothing wrong with it. I go to Goodwill to look for antique white milk glass. Am I then shady if I choose to sell an antique vase for $20 that I bought for .50 cents?
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM

That's not shady, that is what antique dealers and curio people do.  They find a treasure and then sell it.

My dad is an auctioneer, I know tons of people who buy and sell stuff.  They buy from anywhere and sell anywhere else at a mark up.  

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
If it is a second hand/antique kind of store who cares? It's used stuff. Now, if she were buying it and reselling under the assumption it's new than that is shady
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN