Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I have an acquaintance that recently opened a second hand/antique type store. We're not friends, but I know her. I've been to her store because it's a local business and I like to support small businesses within the community.

So! I've also bumped into this woman at a couple of estate auctions, yard sales as well as Goodwill. She's been selling jewelry and some other items she's purchased from Goodwill in her store at a steep mark up.

Is that shady?

There has been some bickering on FB about it. My thoughts are that she is bringing items to people who might not have an opportunity to look for them elsewhere. Does it matter where she buys the merchandise that she sells in her store?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Replies (51-57):
anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I don't think it matters where she buys it.  

There is a woman here who owns the same type of shop and every Saturday she's making the rounds for yardsales.  

louiegirl62
by New Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM

No, not shady. It is no different than ordering things at wholesale and marking them up 75-100%.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM

It's ordinary practice for second hand dealers.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:13 PM

This....I don't see anything wrong with it. Where is she supposed to get her stuff? Other resources include storage units and ebay, but I think estate sales and thrift stores are great places to look for finds if you know what you are looking for.

Her customers are probably looking for specific things that they know she might carry. They most likely do not want to track all over town to yard sales and thrift stores to look for good items that she has already gathered in one place.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Why would it be shady...often people give away or sell things cheap because they don't know the value. It would be shady if she was claiming they were something more than they are.

Naughty Wittle Puppy

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:52 AM

It is enterprising. Just because I got something free or cheap yet someone else is will to pay more for it on ebay or in a store is not shady. 

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:55 AM
2 moms liked this

It seems then someone is having a hissyfit because she got the item before they could.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Are they actually antiques? Is she saying something is antique that isnt?

As far as I know, no. The only hissyfit seems to be her prices.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Not at all.  My husband finds things cheap and sells them for a sometimes hefty price.  He does most on craigslist and Ebay.  His buyers pay what they want to pay---it's their choice to pay it. 

This suppliments his income when he unemployed. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)