Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did Sketchers rip-off TOMS?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM
  • 29 Replies

I think yes. However, I still think TOMS is a better shoe to buy.

Have you guys seen the ads? I saw them a couple years ago and they faded away, and then BAM! Flipped on the television and saw it again. Even if you knew that BOBS ripped off TOMS- would you still consider buying them?

Do you think that the company should have some legal repurcussion?

Do discuss!

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM
I have purchased three pairs of Sketchers shoes in my life, all for my daughter. Each pair only lasted about 30 days without serious damage to the shoes, as in the sole was ripped and falling off, the fabric around the toes started to rip, or the light up thingies quit working. For that reason, I will never purchase another pair of shoes this company produces. They are seriously shoddy quality.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ethans_momma06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I have purchased three pairs of Sketchers shoes in my life, all for my daughter. Each pair only lasted about 30 without serious damage to the shoes, as in the sole was ripped and falling off, the fabric around the toes started to rip, or the light up thingies quit working. For that reason, I will never purchase another pair of shoes this company produces. They are seriously shoddy quality.

Well, that sucks. I bought a pair of new shoes for my son for the 1st day of school and had that happen, so I know how much it sucks.

I will say though that my last 3 pairs of shoes that I bought we sketchers, and they have all held up until now- 5-7 years later. The boots are the 7 years, and I will say that I don't wear them often, but the tennis shoes I've worn regularly.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:00 PM
We had one pair fall apart after one week.

Quoting ethans_momma06:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I have purchased three pairs of Sketchers shoes in my life, all for my daughter. Each pair only lasted about 30 without serious damage to the shoes, as in the sole was ripped and falling off, the fabric around the toes started to rip, or the light up thingies quit working. For that reason, I will never purchase another pair of shoes this company produces. They are seriously shoddy quality.

Well, that sucks. I bought a pair of new shoes for my son for the 1st day of school and had that happen, so I know how much it sucks.

I will say though that my last 3 pairs of shoes that I bought we sketchers, and they have all held up until now- 5-7 years later. The boots are the 7 years, and I will say that I don't wear them often, but the tennis shoes I've worn regularly.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:01 PM

bump

ethans_momma06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Holy cow. Did you go in and throw your shoe at the manager?

Okay, okay. I know. "Not an appropriate response".

Still. Tell me something was done!

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

We had one pair fall apart after one week.

Quoting ethans_momma06:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

OneToughMami
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Sketchers are quite possibly the cheapest made shoes and they have some audacity charging what they do. My mom was just complaining to me about her Sketchers. I have a pair of Toms like shoes I got for 8 bucks at Target. I do not feel horrible about buying something cheaper that looks the same. I know Toms does good things as a company but I can't afford to pay that much for shoes I am running around in at work. I buy very cheap flats for work because I never know when I am going to have to break up a fight...rather ruin cheap ass shoes lol

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I'm not the kind of person who really cares about brand names. I'd pick whichever one was a better value.

Aivlys_
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Yes they did! I only buy Toms. :)
Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Toms knows and is ok with it. They have stated numerous times that they WANT people to copy their model and donate shoes to less fortunate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Debmomto2girls
by Debbie on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:36 PM
I buy Tom's for my girls. I believe for every pair you buy they give a pair of shoes to children in need in Africa. And they hold up well. But, I do not buy knock off anything. If I can't afford the real thing, I don't buy it especially handbags.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured