Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama signs law giving himself, Bush lifetime Secret Service guard

Posted by   + Show Post

Former presidents have to give up rides on Air Force One. But now they don't have to give up being shadowed by the armed-and-earpieced bodyguards of the Secret Service.

President Barack Obama on Thursday signed into a law a measure giving him, George W. Bush and future former presidents and their spouses lifetime Secret Service protection, the White House announced.

The legislation, crafted by Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy of South Carolina, rolls back a mid-1990s law that imposed a 10-year limit on Secret Service protection for former presidents. Bush would have been the first former commander in chief affected.

At the time, lawmakers who supported the measure said it would save the government millions of dollars. They also argued that former presidents could hire private security firms (as Richard Nixon did after he decided to forgo Secret Service protection in 1985).

The bill had sailed through Congress with bipartisan support—it cleared the House of Representatives by voice vote in early December, and then it zipped through the Senate unopposed. The law also provides protection for former presidents’ kids until age 16. But “protection of a spouse shall terminate in the event of remarriage.”

The Secret Service started protecting presidents in 1901 after the assassination of William McKinley. In 1965, Congress passed a law authorizing the agency, which is now a part of the Department of Homeland Security, to protect former presidents for life.

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Replies (21-30):
Jeanetts
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:53 AM
I agree. With the money a former President makes, they can more than afford their own security detail. It's not like we have excess cash to spend from the budget for crying out loud. Every time they do something like this that takes away from the country and gives to a politician, it really chaps my ass good.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cats911
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:46 AM

Obama must be worrying about his safety, and is too cheap to pay for it himself.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:55 AM

It is my understanding those are the only two presidents who did not have it.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't have a problem with this.  There are plenty of other areas we could cut back spending. 

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:05 AM
2 moms liked this
I wonder if people would be so snarky and money obsessed if bush signed this into law? How snarky would they have been if Reagan got his review detail cut off with another ten years to live and with the brain of an Alzheimer patient? I'm sure he should cover it himself.
It's ok that Reagan, Carter, Clinton, Ford, Nixon, and all others since the death of McKinley have lifetime protection. It's only too expensive and unneeded when the democratic black man signs a law.

So transparent, it causes me physical pain at the vapid and rampant willful stupidity. Be very proud, you are what people around the works think Americans are worth and worthy of. Like watching rednecks choose their favorite whipping dog, disturbing and gross.
free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Quoting UpSheRises:

They should have lifetime protection.

Jeanetts
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Whoa, you're bringing 'Democratic Black Man' into this debate? Seriously? As far as I am concerned they could all pay for their own details. This is more of an issue lately because of the budget crises. These former presidents make a lot of money with their speaking engagements and books. The Bush's can certainly afford their own details. I could care less what party or color they are, my concern is the enormous debt this country is sinking into and I do blame our politicians for most of it. Obama is one of them. And where are you getting snarky and money obsessed from? Do you live under a rock?

Quoting AdrianneHill:

I wonder if people would be so snarky and money obsessed if bush signed this into law? How snarky would they have been if Reagan got his review detail cut off with another ten years to live and with the brain of an Alzheimer patient? I'm sure he should cover it himself.

It's ok that Reagan, Carter, Clinton, Ford, Nixon, and all others since the death of McKinley have lifetime protection. It's only too expensive and unneeded when the democratic black man signs a law.

So transparent, it causes me physical pain at the vapid and rampant willful stupidity. Be very proud, you are what people around the works think Americans are worth and worthy of. Like watching rednecks choose their favorite whipping dog, disturbing and gross.

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Agreed, especially for Obama, who's had a hatred leveled towards him never seen before.

Quoting UpSheRises:

They should have lifetime protection.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jeanetts
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM
You also sound like some crazy, dillusional, obsessive Obama fan who is having a little problem with reality.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM

All presidents should have lifetime protection.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)