Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mexico hopes for new US gun laws

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:24 PM
  • 10 Replies
MEXICO CITY (AP) - Mexico's newly named ambassador to the United States says he hopes the U.S. imposes new gun-control laws that will help reduce violence in Mexico.

Ambassador Eduardo Medina Mora said Thursday that the mass shooting of school children in Newtown, Connecticut, last month had raised outrage to the point where previously unfeasible legal changes may be possible. Vice President Joe Biden said Thursday that he will deliver new gun-control proposals to President Barack Obama by Tuesday.

Mexico says U.S. guns, particularly assault weapons, help fuel drug cartel-related violence south of the border.

Medina Mora says he hopes the Newtown shooting will, in his words, "catalyze the necessary societal support for a change in the regulations that will be more favorable to the interests of our country."
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM
5 moms liked this

Ha! This is a joke when our own "control the guns" government is selling automatics to drug cartels (ahem..."Fast & Furious").

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:35 PM
6 moms liked this

*grumble grumble grouch grouch* 

I second what Radioheid said. And acting like the majority of the problem isn't the corrupt, broken Mexican government  is a fucking joke.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting radioheid:

Ha! This is a joke when our own "control the guns" government is selling automatics to drug cartels (ahem..."Fast & Furious").

That was, of course, the entire point of Fast and Furious.

Get the Mexican Govenment to put pressure on our poor courageous President to make changes, and then Mexico would go to the UN if he didn't (wink-wink).

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Seriously?  Gun control laws are not going to reduce violence in Mexico.  However, I'm sure those that sell guns illegally are hoping for new laws to pass.  It very well may give them more business...

rfurlongg
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:18 PM

It isn't unusual for leaders of foreign nations to be 'inerested' in legislation of neighboring countries. Whether or not is works is in the eye of the beholder, but the vast majority of nations do this including the US.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Huh?  I had to read it twice before I laughed.  sidesplittinglaughter

viv212
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:43 PM
I'm so on the fence of the gun issue. It may be because I don't fully understand it. I just some of you might find this interesting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Wait *belly laugh* *can't breathe* *wipes tears*

Isn't our GOVERNMENT the one giving them these guns?

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

NutHouseMomma
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Good cover Mexico! Mexico is excited about new gun control laws because their economy just got a boost - and we thought the drug trafficking was a problem....ahahahaha! Or wait, the Russians are known for amazing guns and various weaponry - having their mob influence should be swell!

** Waiting for the shit to hit the fan** 

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." (Einstein)

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Honestly we do but we are very amused at an ambassador who knows full well we supply the guns making such as statement.

The bigger question is: Did he make the statement to slap that in the face or because he was asked to by some government official? I am leaning toward the later in essence of getting AZ and TX behind gun control.

Quoting viv212:

I'm so on the fence of the gun issue. It may be because I don't fully understand it. I just some of you might find this interesting.

Would you prefer to be barbecue or teriyaki?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)