Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What is so great about the U.S. Constitution?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM
  • 89 Replies

This is sort of a spin off from the thread about the gun discussion taken from the confessions group.

In discussing certain topics some people frequently bring up the Constitution and discuss it the same way some people discuss the Bible.  Why is this document revered so by some people?

If we had to rewrite the document including the amendments today would you write it exactly the same or would you like a more modernized version?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh snap. :) this should be a good one, as the constitution seems to get picked on much LESS then any holy book.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting stringtheory:

Oh snap. :) this should be a good one, as the constitution seems to get picked on much LESS then any holy book.

lol

So true.  It seems like the same people who revere the Bible also revere the Constitution.

kinleysmom11
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I'd keep it exactly the same.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I asked this question in the other constitution post.

Its something I find really curious about the US.   It seems that years upon years...generation upon generation has made you view the Constitution like its the only thing keeping you together.

The Australian Constitution (yes we have one) is basically the same as yours (with the exception of the 2nd Amendment)  Ask an Australian if they have freedom of speech and they will tell you "of course we do"  now ask them where that is in the Constitution and they wouldnt have a clue.

IMO the Constitution of any country should be given an overhaul every ten years to keep up with the times.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I'm partial to the bill of rights. The constitution is a bunch of blah blah blah legalease to me.

It seems like lots of people think of the constitution as the bill of rights...they don't realize those are amendments and that there is much more to the document.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd like for it to be completely rewritten and use inclusive language. It was written at a time when only white men were considered to be humans worth of anything. 

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I, personally, don't hold the constitution near and dear to my heart. IMO there are too many parts that can seem ambiguous and parts that have been picked apart to suit specific needs. I find the amendments, for the most part, appropriate. I dislike people who harp incessantly about 'their' constitutional rights. I've read the constitution, I get why it was written and what it stands for.  I don't find the document 'untouchable'. 

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Quoting kinleysmom11:

I'd keep it exactly the same.

Why?

kinleysmom11
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM

because I'm a "'merican." lol

all jokes aside, I honestly just feel originals shouldn't be tampered with.

ALSO I feel like if it were intended to be changed, it would say at the very bottom. "Subject to change"

Just my opinion

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Quoting kinleysmom11:

because I'm a "'merican." lol

all jokes aside, I honestly just feel originals shouldn't be tampered with.

Originals? Like laws? Seriously?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN