Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What is so great about the U.S. Constitution?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is sort of a spin off from the thread about the gun discussion taken from the confessions group.

In discussing certain topics some people frequently bring up the Constitution and discuss it the same way some people discuss the Bible.  Why is this document revered so by some people?

If we had to rewrite the document including the amendments today would you write it exactly the same or would you like a more modernized version?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Replies (81-89):
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep. LOL 

When you got nothing to say, resort to 'dont like it, leave' or insults. :D

Quoting blues_pagan:

Also shows that they have no point to argue.  Yay Straw Man debates!

Quoting muslimahpj:

I love the idiocy of people who say things like, dont like it here, go live somewhere else. 

Shows a complete lack of intelligence.

lga1965
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting turtle68:

I asked this question in the other constitution post.

Its something I find really curious about the US.   It seems that years upon years...generation upon generation has made you view the Constitution like its the only thing keeping you together.

The Australian Constitution (yes we have one) is basically the same as yours (with the exception of the 2nd Amendment)  Ask an Australian if they have freedom of speech and they will tell you "of course we do"  now ask them where that is in the Constitution and they wouldnt have a clue.

IMO the Constitution of any country should be given an overhaul every ten years to keep up with the times.

I agree! And its funny how many don't even understand it. PLUS, if anyone talks about change....scary word there....its un-American. LOL.   It really is out of date.

"I've long known rage was a life saver. I learned it from my mentor Rush Limbaugh, because every time you look at him you gotta ask, 'How is he still alive?'" -- Stephen Colbert
krysstizzle
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I was speaking specifically of the Iroquois nation as it suits in scale, though there are other.

Who tried anarchy?

The last half of your first paragraph is patently false and can be easily proven so with just a precursory search of history and culture.

Quoting cammibear:

What societies are you referring to? By freer, do you mean anarchy? Because we tried that, and it resulted in chaos and division. Rule of law is the only way to assure individual rights, freedoms, liberties, and unity. But only when elected leaders are accountable to the same rule of law as the average citizen. That's where morals and responsibility come in.

In our lifetime, we have not experienced true freedom, because basic founding principles have been trampled. It's only getting worse, as we see our Constitution as less and less relevant.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Those things do not make it exceptional. There were societies more before ours existed that were freer than we are. It's a limited view to say that it was unprecedented and exceptional.

Quoting cammibear:

That's a sad, sad question. And these answers are troubling. :(

The fact that free men came together and designed our Constitution in an unprecedented phenomenal way is exceptional enough. The fact that alot of the world tried to model our Constitution because it appealed to peoples seeking to be free of totalitarian rule under monarchies and aristocracies is exceptional enough.

A government by the people, for the people. A government offering freedom and liberty. A Constitution that limits federal government and assures individual rights. A government only sustained by moral and responsible citizens. Hmmm...

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Carol_H79:

If I remeber correctly Jefferson's practices were common.  It's not like he was the only person to do those things.  Maybe those of you who have such an issue with our constitution should just leave and make your own laws.

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting kailu1835:

Do you consider Thomas Jefferson to be a nutcase? He said that we need to have firearms to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government. We certainly can't do that with single shot rifles, now, can we?

Quoting Bonita131:

Rewrite some of it for sure.  The second amendment for starters. It is two hundred years old, it was not written for today's nutcase Americans who think owning a firearm that belongs in the military, is okay to have in the home. Rewrite the first amendment  so it will no longer permit freaks like the westboro church members to spew their vile hatred.    

You're talking about a man who in his lifetime had 600 slaves, & who thought nothing of forcing young boys barely 10 yrs of age to work hours on end in his nailery under the worst of conditions . A man who in one of his letters to Washington wrote; "he was making a 4 percent profit every year on the birth of black children, I allow nothing for losses by death, but, on the contrary, shall presently take credit four per cent. per annum, for their increase over and above keeping up their own numbers.”

I have no time for that kind of person, be it the 17th century he lived, or this century, and never will have. As for his "remark" about firearms to protect ourselves, I'd wager he was referring to his own safety more than anyone else's.  

Ah, the race card emerges.

How so?  And how do you define using "the race card."

cammibear
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:00 AM
Ever heard of the Articles of Confederation?

Quoting krysstizzle:

I was speaking specifically of the Iroquois nation as it suits in scale, though there are other.

Who tried anarchy?

The last half of your first paragraph is patently false and can be easily proven so with just a precursory search of history and culture.

Quoting cammibear:

What societies are you referring to? By freer, do you mean anarchy? Because we tried that, and it resulted in chaos and division. Rule of law is the only way to assure individual rights, freedoms, liberties, and unity. But only when elected leaders are accountable to the same rule of law as the average citizen. That's where morals and responsibility come in.

In our lifetime, we have not experienced true freedom, because basic founding principles have been trampled. It's only getting worse, as we see our Constitution as less and less relevant.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Those things do not make it exceptional. There were societies more before ours existed that were freer than we are. It's a limited view to say that it was unprecedented and exceptional.

Quoting cammibear:

That's a sad, sad question. And these answers are troubling. :(

The fact that free men came together and designed our Constitution in an unprecedented phenomenal way is exceptional enough. The fact that alot of the world tried to model our Constitution because it appealed to peoples seeking to be free of totalitarian rule under monarchies and aristocracies is exceptional enough.

A government by the people, for the people. A government offering freedom and liberty. A Constitution that limits federal government and assures individual rights. A government only sustained by moral and responsible citizens. Hmmm...

cammibear
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:07 AM
Anybody ever read the Congressional Records of the first Continental Congress? Very, very insightful. ;)

There is nothing new under the sun...
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Thank you!  Just leave!  Where in the world would you be better off?

Quoting Carol_H79:

If I remeber correctly Jefferson's practices were common.  It's not like he was the only person to do those things.  Maybe those of you who have such an issue with our constitution should just leave and make your own laws.

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting kailu1835:

Do you consider Thomas Jefferson to be a nutcase? He said that we need to have firearms to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government. We certainly can't do that with single shot rifles, now, can we?

Quoting Bonita131:

Rewrite some of it for sure.  The second amendment for starters. It is two hundred years old, it was not written for today's nutcase Americans who think owning a firearm that belongs in the military, is okay to have in the home. Rewrite the first amendment  so it will no longer permit freaks like the westboro church members to spew their vile hatred.    

You're talking about a man who in his lifetime had 600 slaves, & who thought nothing of forcing young boys barely 10 yrs of age to work hours on end in his nailery under the worst of conditions . A man who in one of his letters to Washington wrote; "he was making a 4 percent profit every year on the birth of black children, I allow nothing for losses by death, but, on the contrary, shall presently take credit four per cent. per annum, for their increase over and above keeping up their own numbers.”

I have no time for that kind of person, be it the 17th century he lived, or this century, and never will have. As for his "remark" about firearms to protect ourselves, I'd wager he was referring to his own safety more than anyone else's.  

Lurion
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I say it's time we put on our "big boy coats." 

I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and Constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.  --Thomas Jefferson

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Quoting muslimahpj:

I love the idiocy of people who say things like, dont like it here, go live somewhere else. 

Shows a complete lack of intelligence.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN