Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O on the constitution post

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:36 AM
  • 16 Replies

Im just curious, for those who insist that it should never be changed and should be the original, are you aware that it has been changed over the years? Are you willing to give up the rights that women were given nearly a hundred years ago so we can go back to the 'original' constitution? What about civil rights? What about ownership of slaves? 

Honestly, do you really not know that the constitution has been changed?

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM

bump

greenie63
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Good question, curious to see the answers. I know I'm happy about the 19th amendment, so should every woman on this site. 

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM
3 moms liked this

I was thinking this same exact thing ... I'm guessing some of those people don't understand what the word "amendment" means.

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM
BUMP!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM

It has been added to not changed. Once something is there it is there but then amended. Often people point to the disaster known as prohibition why it should not be amended. It is meant to be a living document to serve as protecting rights not prohibiting them. As such it is felt that when you mention change, especially in the view of prohibiting rights, that changes should not occur. In as much, most of the time it is mentioned changing the constitution it is done around an issue in which people want to prohibit rights.

In light of this discussion I want to bring forward a quote:

In voting against the Flag Desecration Amendment in 2006, Sen. Obama said: "I have never seen anyone burn a flag. And if I did, it would take every ounce of restraint I had not to haul off and hit them...the Constitution should only be amended to address our nation's most pressing problems that can't be solved with legislation."

Thus we have legislation not amendments to address issue.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I'll pass out sticks so everyone can beat the pinata!

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Bump for later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM

bump

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Semantics. Amendments change the way the constitution is read. 

ETA: meaning we dont go by the 'original' anymore.  

Quoting stormcris:

It has been added to not changed. Once something is there it is there but then amended. Often people point to the disaster known as prohibition why it should not be amended. It is meant to be a living document to serve as protecting rights not prohibiting them. As such it is felt that when you mention change, especially in the view of prohibiting rights, that changes should not occur. In as much, most of the time it is mentioned changing the constitution it is done around an issue in which people want to prohibit rights.

In light of this discussion I want to bring forward a quote:

In voting against the Flag Desecration Amendment in 2006, Sen. Obama said: "I have never seen anyone burn a flag. And if I did, it would take every ounce of restraint I had not to haul off and hit them...the Constitution should only be amended to address our nation's most pressing problems that can't be solved with legislation."

Thus we have legislation not amendments to address issue.

lga1965
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

It seems there is a lot of misunderstanding about the Constitution and related documents. And there are many who are afraid of change and refuse to believe that anything has changed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)