Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Most Educated vs. Least Educated States And How They Voted (pic)

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM
  • 31 Replies

I saw this on Facebook and thought it would be good for this group. My state is #2 on the most educated list and yes there are more democrats in Maryland. Your thoughts? 

http://www.eduinreview.com/blog/2008/09/are-democrats-more-educated-than-republicans/

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2012/10/15/americas-best-and-worst-educated-states/

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GLWerth
by Gina on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Interesting.

KayLundy3
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM
I saw this somewhere before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I'm from Ohio. We didn't make either list. We're considered the biggest swing state in the country. In the last 4 elections, we've twice gone Republican (Bush) and twice gone Democrat (Obama).

I assure you our college graduation rate isn't over 20%, so I'm a little confused by why we didn't make the second list. Ohio is in the top 10 for number of colleges and universities, but we've always ranked low on college graduation rate.

My city has a 75% high school graduation rate. We went over 70% Obama in this past election cycle. Make of that what you will.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

GLWerth
by Gina on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Ohio is number 31 on the list of most/least educated states.

Iowa is 14th.

I was curious, so I checked.

Quoting radioheid:

I'm from Ohio. We didn't make either list. We're considered the biggest swing state in the country. In the last 4 elections, we've twice gone Republican (Bush) and twice gone Democrat (Obama).

I assure you our college graduation rate isn't over 20%, so I'm a little confused by why we didn't make the second list. Ohio is in the top 10 for number of colleges and universities, but we've always ranked low on college graduation rate.

My city has a 75% high school graduation rate. We went over 70% Obama in this past election cycle. Make of that what you will.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I think there is a big issue with the ranking of college degrees being the educated factor because I know GA is number 3 on worst list for high school and we were only 2% toward Romney. People vote along party lines and by family tradition far more than they do on actual issues so I am not sure how much education really plays into the vote.

lga1965
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM

My state is #10. Best Educated.

We usually vote Democrat.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not surprised at all.  I think you can find info for the states with the least education have a correlation with the states with the most people on welfare, too.  

States receiving the most federal funding per tax dollar paid:

1. New Mexico: $2.63
2. West Virginia: $2.57
3. Mississippi: $2.47
4. District of Colombia: $2.41
5. Hawaii: $2.38
6. Alabama: $2.03
7. Alaska: $1.93
8. Montana: $1.92
9. South Carolina: $1.92
10. Maine: $1.78

GLWerth
by Gina on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

There also tends to be a strong correlation with return for tax dollars: red states tend to get back much more than they put in, while blue states tend to get back much less than they put in.

Quoting stacymomof2:

I'm not surprised at all.  I think you can find info for the states with the least education have a correlation with the states with the most people on welfare, too.  

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I edited that reply with that info.  :)

Quoting GLWerth:

There also tends to be a strong correlation with return for tax dollars: red states tend to get back much more than they put in, while blue states tend to get back much less than they put in.

Quoting stacymomof2:

GLWerth
by Gina on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Glad you said you edited it....I thought I missed it! :)

Quoting stacymomof2:

I edited that reply with that info.  :)

Quoting GLWerth:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN