Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Boy Missing for 2 Decades Found Alive

Posted by   + Show Post

Boy Missing for 2 Decades Found Alive

Richard Landers Jr. was just 5 years old when he vanished from his Indiana home. Now, 19 years later, he's been found alive.

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Replies (11-20):
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

She was ""jumping up and down for joy" :)

Quoting KTU:

I am curious as to why the case was closed and 4 years later his SS# was run through the system and got a hit. Did it not get run 4 years ago before they closed the case? Did it not get run when that kind of technology first came available? And he was even using the same birthday.

I am very happy for this mother. How amazing she must be feeling right now!

MissElissa21
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

That's great that he was found and is in good shape! I feel so bad that the parents lost all that time, but at least they have contact now. I just wonder how at 5 years old he was just ok with changing his name and 20 ish years later never thought to Google search his old name he no doubt remembers. I would think I would want to know all about what happened that forced me to change names, houses, parents, schools, states, EVERYTHING!

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Possibly.....

I wondered if his mother's lifestyle was tinged by drugs, alcohol or accusations of abuse, neglect, molestation etc.  While I am only picking at the most common reasons, and not accusing her of wrongdoing, I can't help to wonder what was so serious that if prompted the grandparents to take the boy.  They hid for all these years?  So many unanswered questions and too few details  to form  a reasonable opinion.

Quoting annabl1970:

Yes, I am interested too, what was the disagreement all about. Maybe, since the father was not in the picture, seems the mother didn't want paternal GPs to have visitation rights?

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I read this yesterday and am  interested to understand what the placement disagreement was all about.  I find it absolutely amazing that they could not get a line of the grandparents for nearly 20 years.  Something is missing from this tale IMO. 

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM
2 moms liked this
:) :( I bet the kids head is spinning. I have a feeling this poor guy has been brainwashed by his grandparents for so long that this reunion with his mom is not going to be as happy for him as it is for her. They're going to have to do a lot of work repairing the damage this whole situation has caused. Let the healing begin I suppose.

As far as the 'why' they took him. There could be any number of reasons that have nothing to do with any foul play concerning mom. Sometimes grandparents are just nuts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jeanetts
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I would like to know the whole story on this. I'm not rushing to blame the mother, as I dealt with crazy paternal granparents myself, after good old 'dad' ran off. Grandpa thought he then had all the rights, and more, of the father of my son. Even thought he could tell me what to do, while he was an active alcoholic, non-working, and treated women like second class citizens. I pulled visitation. He took me to court. It got very ugly.
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:36 AM
1 mom liked this

The article i read on it stated that the boy had lived with the grandparents since he was born and the mother didn't even try to get any custody until AFTER the boys father had died. She was apparently homeless at the time so the grands ran with him. The boy, now a young man, has stated on his facebook account that everyone needs to stop throwing blame at his grandparents, if people knew everything that was going on they would understand.  He owns joining property with them and now looks after them.

Quoting annabl1970:

Yeah, whatever were their reasons to kidnap the grandchild, they were wrong. GPs can't replace the mother. I want to know, how  they explain him why all these years his parents weren't in his life?

Quoting Radarma:

Read this today too and thought "wow"....shame on those "grandparents".

Imagine losing all those years? :(

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:54 AM
I hope some one badly hurts those selfish grandparents and there is a lot of blood they have to clean up when they can use their fingers again.
I have no sympathy. If the mother was that bad, call the cops. You don't steal children especially since the baby daddy (y'know the useless shit they raised first who then abandoned his child).
Sorry, you don't get a do over by stealing a child and things like this are why they should not have a statute of limitations on kidnapping children, ever. I honestly hope someone burns down their damn house so they realize this town is through with them too.
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:33 AM
There is something missing from this story. Why did it take police 19 years to run his ss number? Why did the grandparents take him? Maybe there was severe neglect or abuse by the mother?

I'm curious to hear more about this?
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:35 AM
I thought something else was going in. I read something like that also. Not all mothers are meant to be mothers

Quoting Arroree:

The article i read on it stated that the boy had lived with the grandparents since he was born and the mother didn't even try to get any custody until AFTER the boys father had died. She was apparently homeless at the time so the grands ran with him. The boy, now a young man, has stated on his facebook account that everyone needs to stop throwing blame at his grandparents, if people knew everything that was going on they would understand.  He owns joining property with them and now looks after them.

Quoting annabl1970:

Yeah, whatever were their reasons to kidnap the grandchild, they were wrong. GPs can't replace the mother. I want to know, how  they explain him why all these years his parents weren't in his life?

Quoting Radarma:

Read this today too and thought "wow"....shame on those "grandparents".

Imagine losing all those years? :(

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Incredible!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)