Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Objectification of Men

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:25 AM
  • 120 Replies

Why is it we only ever hear about the objectification of women when men are put on display in similar ways?

Are men more comfortable with being objects of attraction and why is it so bad for a woman to be? 

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
parentalrights1
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:29 AM
6 moms liked this
I'm not bothered at all by men or women stripping or selling sex if that's what you mean.

My issue is that women are the only ones chastised for doing or mentioning anything remotely sexual in nature. Strippers are considered whores. Even the fact that any woman outside of cheaters and mistresses are called whores annoys me, but men can do no wrong because well, gee they're just MEN *sarcasm*
nickysmom71
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this

I objectify men on a daily basis...lmao!!!!

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I agree with you that is a problem. No one should call another person a derogatory name. 

Quoting parentalrights1:

I'm not bothered at all by men or women stripping or selling sex if that's what you mean.

My issue is that women are the only ones chastised for doing or mentioning anything remotely sexual in nature. Strippers are considered whores. Even the fact that any woman outside of cheaters and mistresses are called whores annoys me, but men can do no wrong because well, gee they're just MEN *sarcasm*

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I think men are objectified in the same way as women in our society but not as often. I think just as some women find power in this there are some men who do as well.  There are also those who are damaged by it, John Holmes comes to mind.  

I think the impact on society as a whole is the biggest negative in the objectification of any human being.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Do you feel it is the actual objectification or the resulting cynacism and derogatory comments made about the objectification that results in the harm?

Quoting survivorinohio:

I think men are objectified in the same way as women in our society but not as often. I think just as some women find power in this there are some men who do as well.  There are also those who are damaged by it, John Holmes comes to mind.  

I think the impact on society as a whole is the biggest negative in the objectification of any human being.

ejsmom4604
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM
3 moms liked this

I think that if people would stop looking at other people as objects, and start viewing them as human beings, things would be better. We can appreciate someone whom is physically appealing to us without being a bunch of drooling, giggling piles of stupid. That goes for both men and women. 

Women to some degree have this new sense of freedom, but yet don't seem to be able to handle it. "We" bitch and moan about how we are treated by men, yet go and treat men the same way. 

Now before anyone flips, I am not saying every woman does this, neither does every man treat women like objects either. However, it is happening more and more. 

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I definitely think that as we think of humans as object that it opens the door for everything to follow so I think in this case the chicken ( objectification) comes before the egg.  Without making them things first it wouldnt be so easy to desert their humanity..

Quoting stormcris:

Do you feel it is the actual objectification or the resulting cynacism and derogatory comments made about the objectification that results in the harm?

Quoting survivorinohio:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

rgba
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM
3 moms liked this
Because:
Men have always voted (though admittedly not all)
Men don't get kidnapped and sold into the sex trade
While some men get raped, it is much more often women.
Teenage boys don't get shot in the head for saying men should receive an education.

And so on.
If we get to a point where women and men are treated the same across the globe, then this conversation would be much different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I can only speak about my husband, because he's shared things with me about this. Men are objectified. They are objects of attraction to both men and women. I think alot of men like this. I think alot of people like this. My husband does not. He is 52...looks no older than 42. He has been a weight-lifter since he was 17. For 10 years he was a competitive power lifter (bench press 475#). Needless to say, he has a very nice body. He tans wonderfully. 6', 200#. He WILL NOT work out in a public gym...he has before, but does not like the stares, the people hanging around him, etc. He realizes he is treated as an object, not a person, when he goes to such places. We have a whole set-up at home that he uses every day.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Do you think that humans have the ability to relate on a more personal level to all individuals in order not to see another person as merely an object or is the only way to stop objectifying others is to form a personal relationship?

Quoting ejsmom4604:

I think that if people would stop looking at other people as objects, and start viewing them as human beings, things would be better. We can appreciate someone whom is physically appealing to us without being a bunch of drooling, giggling piles of stupid. That goes for both men and women. 

Women to some degree have this new sense of freedom, but yet don't seem to be able to handle it. "We" bitch and moan about how we are treated by men, yet go and treat men the same way. 

Now before anyone flips, I am not saying every woman does this, neither does every man treat women like objects either. However, it is happening more and more. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)