Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Has anyone gone out to see it yet? I watched it last night and loved it. There were points I couldn't watch (just too real and graphic) but gave it high marks. Anyone else have thoughts on the movie?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Replies (71-80):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:34 AM

me too...strangely enough I found it really easy to dislike Samuel L Jackson instead, and I love him usually LOL

Quoting ashellbell:

I found it hard to hate Leo as much as I wanted to. He had a certain charisma to him.

Quoting Emberbaby:

Great movie.  Leonardo DiCaprio was amazing as always, that could not have been an easy character to play. Jamie Foxx was  also amazing. 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting greenie63:

Just saw it tonight, loved it! It was bloody in some scenes, but still an excellent movie. My SO and I laughed hysterically during the scene where they were wearing bags with holes cut out for their eyes lol. We saw Lincoln last week and loved that as well. 

I loved that part :-)  Especially the man who was hurt because his wife had put all the time and effort into them LMAO

ElizabethGracie
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 4:05 AM

We saw it and loved it! I adore DiCaprio and I was really sad that he didn't get a Best Supporting Actor nod from the Academy for it :( I love Christoph Waltz, but I actually think that DiCaprio was better than him in this movie...I liked the way Watlz played in Inglourious Basterds better.

As for the n word...it was kind of uncomfortable to hear it repeatedly, but you also have to look at the historical context in which the movie was made. And then it really doesn't seem as a out of place.

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you."

ElizabethGracie
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 4:10 AM

I'm a big history nerd and I love Lincoln,but I could not stand that movie. I don't know if it just wasn't what I was expecting or if I just wasn't in the right type of mood for it...Daniel Day Lewis did a great job and Tommy Lee Jones was awesome,but the actual movie itself,I just thought it was blah :-(

Quoting greenie63:

Just saw it tonight, loved it! It was bloody in some scenes, but still an excellent movie. My SO and I laughed hysterically during the scene where they were wearing bags with holes cut out for their eyes lol. We saw Lincoln last week and loved that as well. 

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you."

nb34
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Huh, MIL is taking the kids this afternoon, so I may get to convince DH to go see this movie instead of the Hobbits. I don't think I really care fo the Hobbits much.

Quoting ashellbell:

Its totally worth seeing it on the big screen!

Quoting nb34:

I would really like to see this movie. I really like Tarantino's movies. I am not sure I will make it to the theaters though. I might have to wait for the dvd to come out.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM
I wasn't a fan of the Hobbit. Fell flat for me.

Quoting nb34:

Huh, MIL is taking the kids this afternoon, so I may get to convince DH to go see this movie instead of the Hobbits. I don't think I really care fo the Hobbits much.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting nb34:

I would really like to see this movie. I really like Tarantino's movies. I am not sure I will make it to the theaters though. I might have to wait for the dvd to come out.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nb34
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I did it. I went to see Django and I am glad that I did. It was great. I loved it. Tarantino does not disappoint. Thanks for bringing this to my attention :)

Quoting ashellbell:

I wasn't a fan of the Hobbit. Fell flat for me.

Quoting nb34:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting nb34:

nb34
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Exactly, the movie itself isn't racist, the history it relays is racist. I liked the way he showed the brutality of slavery. let's show it for how it really was, not how the "white" folks want to remember it. Way to go Taratino, you are my hero!

Quoting ashellbell:

I don't know of many slave owners that were known for their kindness. It's a part of our history. Was it racist, yes? I guess I just don't see many black people saying that this movie was racist towards them. It's an account of their culture and the true atrocities that have occurred. I think it just makes some white people uncomfortable to acknowledge the horror that was put upon them. The movie itself isn't racist, just the history.

Quoting AMommy2Brandon:

I never watched it. I would assume it would be racist against black people. Even the news said that Leo's character was just bad. 

Quoting ashellbell:

Who do you find it racist against (if you don't mind me asking)?

Quoting AMommy2Brandon:

I don't like either of those movies. I don't think she ever watched Roots. 

Quoting ashellbell:

It's about slavery...what else would one expect? It's like saying "Roots" or "The Color Purple" was too racist.

Quoting AMommy2Brandon:

My cousin said it is too racist to sit through.

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:36 AM
LOVED it. I found myself telling "the Doctor" to just shake his damn hand and hit the road. But that would have been the end of the movie :(

It's been bugging me as to why he didn't do what I stated ^^^ (attempting to not use a spoiler). Do you think it's because of the dog scene? He started thinking about it.
Quoting ashellbell:

I think it's one of his best films. I don't know how anyone couldn't like it. Have fun!

Quoting Stephanie329:

I stand corrected! It's showing in the evening only - no matinee. I'm going tomorrow :)

Quoting ashellbell:

Dang, how is it not there yet?

Quoting Stephanie329:

It still isn't in our theaters. I'm dying to see it. I'm a big Terentino fan.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Agree with all you ladies.

I especially have a new appreciation for Jamie Fox.

Always loved Jackson, ever since A Time to Kill.

Quoting turtle68:

me too...strangely enough I found it really easy to dislike Samuel L Jackson instead, and I love him usually LOL

Quoting ashellbell:

I found it hard to hate Leo as much as I wanted to. He had a certain charisma to him.

Quoting Emberbaby:

Great movie.  Leonardo DiCaprio was amazing as always, that could not have been an easy character to play. Jamie Foxx was  also amazing. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN