Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How much drama in threads is caused by poor writing, poor reading comprehension, or both?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM
  • 90 Replies
2 moms liked this

I would say a fair amount.  Let's do an experiment.  Let's believe people when they say "That is not what I meant."

Let's also try to write and read more carefully, at least for today. :)

ETA good points from posters:

You forgot not reading at all. Many people read the first few sentences of a post and then stop and comment.

I think one of the largest sources of confusion on this site is the poster who responds after reading only the post title.

There's also a vast variety in writing and communication styles because of the large number of people from different parts of the world on here.

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM
8 moms liked this
There's also a vast variety in writing and communication styles because of the large number of people from different parts of the world on here.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

THIS THIS THIS!!!

Quoting wickedfiress:

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM
2 moms liked this

I think a big problem is that many only read bits and pieces and dont care to know the rest.  Strong opinions are formed without anywhere near all the information is considered.

There are also those who really dont read AT ALL Imo.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I get in trouble all the time LOL I admit - my mistake is - I build the sentence in russian, than I translate it to English.

Quoting wickedfiress:

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

It could be on any given day I might write in a way that people misinterpret. I think anyone should be able to say that is not what I meant.

Carol_H79
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

In some cases the topic of the thread gets people a little emotional and maybe they get in a hurry when replying.  No one is perfect.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM
2 moms liked this

I think one of the largest sources of confusion on this site is the poster who responds after reading only the post title.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting wickedfiress:

Very true, which is why we should ask for clarification before flipping out, lol.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Agree

Quoting radioheid:

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting wickedfiress:

Very true, which is why we should ask for clarification before flipping out, lol. Definitely

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)