Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

ANOTHER school shooting!

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM
  • 7 Replies
The violence.just keeps getting worse! Students wanting to kill other students over bullying what can be done to help these kids?!? Counseling.in school? My duaghter isn't even in preschool yet and I'm scared for when she is!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Bullying cannot just be the answer to why such situations are happening. Our entire society is becoming more enraged and there could be a lot of factors contributing such as environmental issues of poisons and radiation.

funglemuggle
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Was this in regard to the one yesterday? Or do I need to flip on my TV?
lamommy23
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM
The one in california, and ik its not just bullying but the shooting that just happened Iwas watching the news and the shooter had said he was only trying kill the kids who were bullying him I should have been more clear
ejsmom4604
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM
2 moms liked this

You will never be able to completely eradicate bullying. There are so many reasons for it. However, we can reduce it greatly by starting at home. By teaching our children that if someone is different than them, to just let them be. Be kind, and respectful. You can't force friendships, and they shouldn't be forced, however that doesn't mean that children should put others down. And we as the parents need to lead by example. And when we do treat someone poorly, we should be apologizing, and explaining to our children we were wrong. 

Schools need to stop punishing those that are standing up for themselves or others when they are bullied or seeing someone else being bullied. If someone is protecting themselves, they shouldn't be punished for it. 

And probably one of the most important things, if students wouldn't allow others to bully, those that do bully would soon find out that treating others poorly will not get them far. 

As to shootings, it is now the easy way out of dealing with problems. It's a lot like the teenage suicide that was going on in the 80's (and yes I know it still happens today) where that is how the bullied dealt with their problems. It isn't the answer. There isn't one fix all answer. It takes a lot of work from all different angles.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Ah ok

Quoting lamommy23:

The one in california, and ik its not just bullying but the shooting that just happened Iwas watching the news and the shooter had said he was only trying kill the kids who were bullying him I should have been more clear

lamommy23
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Ik you are so right it's just so sad to keep hearing these terrible stories and how can we help the ids who are bullies that don't have parents to teach them.to just be nice!

Quoting ejsmom4604:

You will never be able to completely eradicate bullying. There are so many reasons for it. However, we can reduce it greatly by starting at home. By teaching our children that if someone is different than them, to just let them be. Be kind, and respectful. You can't force friendships, and they shouldn't be forced, however that doesn't mean that children should put others down. And we as the parents need to lead by example. And when we do treat someone poorly, we should be apologizing, and explaining to our children we were wrong. 

Schools need to stop punishing those that are standing up for themselves or others when they are bullied or seeing someone else being bullied. If someone is protecting themselves, they shouldn't be punished for it. 

And probably one of the most important things, if students wouldn't allow others to bully, those that do bully would soon find out that treating others poorly will not get them far. 

As to shootings, it is now the easy way out of dealing with problems. It's a lot like the teenage suicide that was going on in the 80's (and yes I know it still happens today) where that is how the bullied dealt with their problems. It isn't the answer. There isn't one fix all answer. It takes a lot of work from all different angles.

ejsmom4604
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:56 PM

That's where peers can come in at. If kids as a whole let that one child know that his/her behavior is not acceptable to them, and they do not fear them, and that no matter what the "bully" threatens, they will continue to turn him/her in, then perhaps that will curb a lot of the behavior. In fact, if a person can change how they treat others and end up making friends, they may actually have a better chance of getting out of a bad situation. 

Quoting lamommy23:

Ik you are so right it's just so sad to keep hearing these terrible stories and how can we help the ids who are bullies that don't have parents to teach them.to just be nice!

Quoting ejsmom4604:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)