Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hey Lesbian couple! Thanks for your hard earned money, but I think you're offensive to society!

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM
  • 205 Replies
1 mom liked this

Lesbian couple: Restaurant owner hands them letter condemning homosexuality

POSTED: 4:24 PM Jan 10 2013  UPDATED: 12:30 AM Jan 11 2013

link and video

NEW BERN -

A lesbian couple said an owner of a restaurant handed them a letter condemning homosexuality as they were walking out of the building.

Ariel and Shawnee McPhail said they went into The Stingray Café, on 520 S. Front Street in New Bern, and ate a meal there on Dec. 4. But they said as they were leaving, the restaurant's owner, Ed McGovern, handed them a letter that stated God's opposition to homosexuality. The letter reads as follows:

"God said in the last days that man and wom[a]n would be lover of self, more [than] the lover of God.

That man and woman would have unnatural [affection] for one another. Then, the coming of the Son of Man, who is Jesus. So please, look at your life. See how it hurt[s] everyone around you. And ask the Lord to open your eye[s] before it [is] to[o] late.

The Love of Christ

P.S. my daughter also was gay. It destroy[ed] her life and my grandson."

McGovern confirmed with NewsChannel 12 that he did give the couple that letter, out of love, and that he did something similar to another lesbian couple in the past.

McGovern said he wrote the letter because he did not approve of the McPhails kissing outside of his restaurant. But the couple denied doing it.

"First of all, we didn't kiss. We don't kiss in public. We were holding hands," said Shawnee McPhail. "Secondly, if I did kiss my wife in public, what married couple would you go to and say, 'how dare you. You cannot hold hands and you cannot kiss in public therefore you deserve my judgement.'"

The couple said everyone has the right to his or her opinion, but what McGovern did crossed the line.

"If we're experiencing it, then other people are too and that's not fair," said Ariel McPhail.

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM
9 moms liked this

I wouldn't eat at a restaurant who's owner would do something like that.  IMO, that's not how a business should act.

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM
4 moms liked this

wtf is wrong with people??

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM
7 moms liked this

After listening to the video which states what the letter said and why the man gave the letter, I think the women are intentionally overreacting and using the situation to get their 15 minutes of fame.  The man said he gave them the letter out of love and the letter is not rude nor does it use any type of profanity.  If the women don't want to be judged then they need to take the man on his word being his intentions for the letter were out of love.  Instead they have chosen to launch an intentional hate filled campaign in an attempt to hurt the mans business.  Unfortunately the women, along with those who support how they have handled the situation are doing nothing but causing further division.  Instead of using this as an opportunity to help the man understand their feelings and perhaps even bring some healing to the man's relationship with his daughter, who he mentioned in the letter as being gay, they choose to launch a public attack campaign against the mans business.  

FrumpyMama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM

It wasn't Basil Fawlty was it? Good Grief what an Ass.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

What an asshole.

BridgeEbb
by New Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM
6 moms liked this

How was that not rude?  He sought out a gay couple to give them a letter about how being gay is wrong.  I agree that they could have handled the situation differently but he should have kept his nose out of their business.  I am so sick of people thinking that they have the right to tell others how to live.  God is the only judge no man.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

After listening to the video which states what the letter said and why the man gave the letter, I think the women are intentionally overreacting and using the situation to get their 15 minutes of fame.  The man said he gave them the letter out of love and the letter is not rude nor does it use any type of profanity.  If the women don't want to be judged then they need to take the man on his word being his intentions for the letter were out of love.  Instead they have chosen to launch an intentional hate filled campaign in an attempt to hurt the mans business.  Unfortunately the women, along with those who support how they have handled the situation are doing nothing but causing further division.  Instead of using this as an opportunity to help the man understand their feelings and perhaps even bring some healing to the man's relationship with his daughter, who he mentioned in the letter as being gay, they choose to launch a public attack campaign against the mans business.  

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup I live in that State...not surprised at all. No one who lives here should be.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM
4 moms liked this

The women went to a restaurant to enjoy a meal, not to receive a letter of a man who disapproves their relationship. That is not love! That's a bigoted ass who stuck his nose where it didn't belong. It was completely out of line, and very unprofessional. I wonder how you would feel if you and a loved one went out to eat, and received a letter of disapproval. I'm sure you would be angry.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:46 PM
11 moms liked this

He needs to mind his own business.

Did being gay ruin his daughter's life or did the judgement and condemnation from those around her ruin her life?

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM
12 moms liked this

Bullshit.

I don't care why he says he did it ("love" my ass), what matters is that it was rude and offensive.  It was a hurtful, uneccesary thing he did and they have EVERY right to let people know what kind of human being he is, and how he treats his customers.

The man walked up to them and handed them a letter telling them that what they are doing is wrong in the eyes of the Lord (AFTER they'd paid their bill, I guess) - they are under no requirement whatsoever to go and nicely use this as an "opportunity".

Screw him.  Stop trying to defend the undefendable.  He CHOSE this the moment he walked up to two strangers and handed them such a horrible letter.  Maybe HE should have chose to talk to them, learn about them, maybe he could heal the problem with his own daughter.  (what, two strangers are supposed to do that for him??)

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured