Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Current National Issues

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM
  • 23 Replies

My daughter is the only girl in her Current National Issues class.  As such, she's been given the honor of choosing the next (and last) topic of discussion for this half-year elective.

So far, they've covered legalization of marijuana, video game violence, death penalty, presidential debates, SAT cheating, the assassination of OBL and a discussion relating to how kids today are expected to go to college in a way like never before.  She was thinking to do gun control and/or having police in the schools.  But I think we can do better than that.  She gave me the okay to ask you for ideas.

The class is all boys in 9th-12th grade.  There is a mix of honors and regular ed students.  The teacher is kind of a child himself, but the happy effect of that is he uses youtube clips from SNL whenever the chance presents itself.  So what say you...ideas?

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Rape Culture?

Hafsa1
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Invading privacy (tapping phones, monitor email, etc) of random citizens to reduce terrorism

Pulling troops out of mid east

Harsher punishment for bullying

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Rape Culture?

I wish I could trust that the teacher would get that message right.  Unfortunately, I have evidence to the contrary.  During video game violence week, he was showing some youtube of a bunch of boys running around and knocking girls over before running away laughing.  Now, I still don't know how it came up in relation to video games, but Candice said that the class was enoying the video WAY too much.  And the teacher, rather than helping them see why it wasn't cool, kept replaying it so the guys could laugh some more.

Now my girl, being who she is, told the teacher that she didn't think it was cool the way the boys enjoyed it so much.  And he DID make a little speech the next day about what-if-it-were-your-sister/mother/daughter.  But I think it was only because she said something.

lga1965
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I remember we had some really heated discussions about the emphasis on sports that overshadows academics at certain colleges and how that effected the scandal at Penn State. It seemed that some of us thought that academics was more important than the sports program at penn state and that the men involved in the Sandusky, Paterno, situation needed to pay for covering up. And the record expunged. The program halted,etc. Others said that Paterno needed to be forgiven because the football team was so wonderful.  Two opposite points of view.

Now, I am suggesting excluding the Parerno,Sandusky scandal BUT just limiting the discussion to SPORTS programs at college. Maybe they could discuss the emphasis on sports vs the academic goals that students need to work toward. Should guys get scholarships based on athletic performance and still get class credits even if they aren't accomplishing anything?That is controversial at some colleges....are the football stars getting passing grades just to allow them to stay there and play?

Just a suggestion. Since the class is basically all boys,

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lga1965:

I remember we had some really heated discussions about the emphasis on sports that overshadows academics at certain colleges and how that effected the scandal at Penn State. It seemed that some of us thought that academics was more important than the sports program at penn state and that the men involved in the Sandusky, Paterno, situation needed to pay for covering up. And the record expunged. The program halted,etc. Others said that Paterno needed to be forgiven because the football team was so wonderful.  Two opposite points of view.

Now, I am suggesting excluding the Parerno,Sandusky scandal BUT just limiting the discussion to SPORTS programs at college. Maybe they could discuss the emphasis on sports vs the academic goals that students need to work toward. Should guys get scholarships based on athletic performance and still get class credits even if they aren't accomplishing anything?That is controversial at some colleges....are the football stars getting passing grades just to allow them to stay there and play?

Oooooohhh...I wonder if the boys might debate that pretty hard.  The are both football players and nerds in there.  She could sit back, occasionally throw on another log of information, and just watch the fire grow!

lga1965
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Quoting Bieg9093:

Quoting lga1965:

Oooooohhh...I wonder if the boys might debate that pretty hard.  The are both football players and nerds in there.  She could sit back, occasionally throw on another log of information, and just watch the fire grow!

I bet she could debate right along with them-she sounds like a smart cookie and would have a lot to contribute!

"I've long known rage was a life saver. I learned it from my mentor Rush Limbaugh, because every time you look at him you gotta ask, 'How is he still alive?'" -- Stephen Colbert
rfurlongg
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Feminism?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meriana
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I was thinking of sports also, not only at the college level but at the high school level. There are a lot of avenues that she could take that relate to sports.

rfurlongg
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Advantages of Title 9?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this
The War on Women. Is it a creation or a reality?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN