Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Constitution (might be a s/o I don't know) Edited-I made my point bigger

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM
  • 110 Replies

Alright, I have been seeing some things on here that have really bothered me. I spent a good percentage of my adult life studying the Constitution in a variety of settings. I have also taught the Constitution in a formal setting both as a teacher and a tutor. I have been noticing that people have been saying that we should not change the Constitutions and the first they they mention and defend is the Bill of Rights. I do hope that the people who are saying that we cannot change the Constitution realize that the Bill of Rights were not written into the original Constitution and that we in fact did change it to express the rights held in the Bill of Rights. I do hope that they also know the other Amendments are also changes made to the Constitution, that the Constitution is not concrete and can in fact be changed. You can learn more about it here http://www.usconstitution.net/constam.html and you can also read the seemingly ignored 17 Amendments here http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_amendments_11-27.html they are just as important as your Bill of Rights.

My point is that the Constitution that everyone is saying shouldn't be changed has already been changed 27 times. Nothing more nothing less, just that the Constitution has changed 27 times.

Hi! again....Just so we are all clear...LIVING DOCUMENT...the Constitution is one!

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:35 PM
4 moms liked this

As someone who teaches others about the constitution, I'm sure that you're aware that several of the colonies refused to ratify it until that bill of rights was firmly assured? Right?

Yes the constitution can be changed ... with a sufficient percentage of states voting on such change, followed by congress.

It can't be changed by an executive order signed by a president just because he thinks it gets in his way.

OneToughMami
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Quoting Farmlady09:

As someone who teaches others about the constitution, I'm sure that you're aware that several of the colonies refused to ratify it until that bill of rights was firmly assured? Right?

Yes the constitution can be changed ... with a sufficient percentage of states voting on such change, followed by congress.

It can't be changed by an executive order signed by a president just because he thinks it gets in his way.

Clearly you missed the point entirely of the post. I am pretty sure it was obvious what I was getting at. I also posted a like that speaks to how it's changed. Executive orders were not mentioned because they were irrelevant to the point I was making. My point was simply that I was seeing too many people who seem to be oblivious to the fact that we already have changes to the Constitution.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:44 PM
3 moms liked this

*Pounces on Mami* 

You need to come around more, we need your brains in here, as you have witnessed. 

sherry132
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I do not think your point is quite as clear as you think it is. I was thinking the same thing that Farmlady09 posted. 

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Clearly you missed the point entirely of the post. I am pretty sure it was obvious what I was getting at. I also posted a like that speaks to how it's changed. Executive orders were not mentioned because they were irrelevant to the point I was making. My point was simply that I was seeing too many people who seem to be oblivious to the fact that we already have changes to the Constitution.

OneToughMami
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Quoting muslimahpj:

*Pounces on Mami* 

You need to come around more, we need your brains in here, as you have witnessed. 

I have to make my point bigger.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting muslimahpj:

*Pounces on Mami* 

I have to make my point bigger.

LOL

OneToughMami
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I think my point is really clear now.

Quoting sherry132:

I do not think your point is quite as clear as you think it is. I was thinking the same thing that Farmlady09 posted. 

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Of course there have been changes ~ every single amendment is a change.

I didn't miss the point, but I think maybe someone needs to give our potus a refresher course on what he may and may not do ... because a good bit of the discussion is about what he understands/doesn't understand about the constitution.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL. You can make it as big as you want, but, some will still refuse to see it. 

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:54 PM
4 moms liked this
Yes, I'm sure our president doesn't understand constitutional law. *eyeroll*

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Of course there have been changes ~ every single amendment is a change.

I didn't miss the point, but I think maybe someone needs to give our potus a refresher course on what he may and may not do ... because a good bit of the discussion is about what he understands/doesn't understand about the constitution.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)