Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pick up after yourself and make your children do the same.

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

I guess I could have posted this in the pet peeve thread but meh.......

I have noticed, more and more, that people are absolutly rude and lazy.  

When you are out to eat, regardless of the place, do you clean up after yourself or do you leave every thing for the help to clean up?  What about your children?  Do you allow them to make a huge mess and then leave it?  Why would you do this? Do you require they pick up after themselves or again, do you leave it for the help?

What about something as simple as pushing in your chair?  Why do so many people just get up and leave without pushing in their chairs?

Once a month I supervise at one of the eateries on base.  This is not the only place I see this but today reminded me of how I hate people some times.  

I cannot begin to tell you how pissed off I am by the end of the day just from how lazy and inconsiderate people are.  Often times, I will head out to pick up the tables myself as I feel so badly for the staff, they have to deal with this all the time.

And yes, I have said something, more than once, to more than a few people about how lazy they are and the mess left behind.  Quite honestly, I am surprised no one has complained that I dared to say something to them.  

Your thoughts? 

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Dh and I stack the plates for our waitress. I also clean up any messes (spills, crumbs, etc) the me or my children make throughout the meal. I can't stand messes. As far as chairs, if I think the push them in I do, but most of the time I am corraling 2 children, doggy bags, and my purse and just forget. :(
AMBG825
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Usually. If for some reason I'm not able to do so, I leave extra in the tip.

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

When you are out to eat, regardless of the place, do you clean up after yourself or do you leave every thing for the help to clean up?  What about your children?  Do you allow them to make a huge mess and then leave it?  Why would you do this? Do you require they pick up after themselves or again, do you leave it for the help?

What about something as simple as pushing in your chair?  Why do so many people just get up and leave without pushing in their chairs?

Once a month I supervise at one of the eateries on base.  This is not the only place I see this but today reminded me of how I hate people some times.  

I cannot begin to tell you how pissed off I am by the end of the day just from how lazy and inconsiderate people are.  Often times, I will head out to pick up the tables myself as I feel so badly for the staff, they have to deal with this all the time.

And yes, I have said something, more than once, to more than a few people about how lazy they are and the mess left behind.  Quite honestly, I am surprised no one has complained that I dared to say something to them.  

Your thoughts? 

Don't start handing out letters....

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

We ALWAYS clean up after ourselves when we go out to eat.  We stack our dishes in a neat pile and clear off the table if there are crumbs or anything.  I even go as far as getting on the floor with a napkin to clean up after DD.  We usually sit in a booth  but I always make sure to put the high chair back where we found it.

Wait staff don't get paid enough to wait on the table and bus the dishes plus clean up after everyone.  I want to make it easy on them  and thank them for their good service by being a good patron.

lga1965
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I know what you mean! It makes me angry to see how people are so lax and make messes.

Another thing that really ticks me off ( from the viewpoint of a former sales associate in a nice department store) is how people make so much of a mess when looking at clothes. They let garments fall off the hanger and just lie on the ground. And they take stacks of clothing and mess them all up. They leave tons of clothes in the dressing rooms. They leave their trash in the dressing rooms. I just go nuts when I see the messes and I help clean them up. I can't help myself. I hang up clothes and fold clothes into neat piles. I wonder if they think I am crazy! LOL.My granddaughters do--they laugh and say "Gramma, let them do it" and laugh. I think Kohls is the place where the customers are the messiest.

jlo1313
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I have always cleaned up after myself, and my children have always been expected to clean up after themselves, I really can't remember a time I have ever left a mess at a restaurant.  I get very annoyed that tables are rarely pre-bussed anymore, and that starts to eat at their tip.

As far as pushing in chairs, I was raised to do so and it is a habit for me, but I am finding that it is not a habit for about 99% of others.

jlo1313
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lga1965:

I know what you mean! It makes me angry to see how people are so lax and make messes.

Another thing that really ticks me off ( from the viewpoint of a former sales associate in a nice department store) is how people make so much of a mess when looking at clothes. They let garments fall off the hanger and just lie on the ground. And they take stacks of clothing and mess them all up. They leave tons of clothes in the dressing rooms. They leave their trash in the dressing rooms. I just go nuts when I see the messes and I help clean them up. I can't help myself. I hang up clothes and fold clothes into neat piles. I wonder if they think I am crazy! LOL.My granddaughters do--they laugh and say "Gramma, let them do it" and laugh. I think Kohls is the place where the customers are the messiest.

That is totally the truth!  And my local Kohl's employees don't care to try to pick it up.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I go down on the floor and pick up after my toddler, if a waitress tells me it's ok, I still pick up most of the stuff. I used to work at a restaurant and believe me, I know what you are talking about. I teach both of my kids to pick up after themselves, everywhere we go.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Your thoughts? 

Don't start handing out letters....

Buahahahahahaha!

That was indeed a good one.  Nah, I skip all that and go in for the kill. lol

punky3175
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:39 PM
It really does drive me crazy. My son (of course) loves going to the steak houses where you can throw peanut shells on the floor. Except I don't let him. The shells are piled neatly on a plate so they can be thrown away. We also wipe the tables when we're done to alleviate some of the mess. Luckily mine are teenagers so they don't make as big of a mess.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)