Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pick up after yourself and make your children do the same.

Posted by   + Show Post

I guess I could have posted this in the pet peeve thread but meh.......

I have noticed, more and more, that people are absolutly rude and lazy.  

When you are out to eat, regardless of the place, do you clean up after yourself or do you leave every thing for the help to clean up?  What about your children?  Do you allow them to make a huge mess and then leave it?  Why would you do this? Do you require they pick up after themselves or again, do you leave it for the help?

What about something as simple as pushing in your chair?  Why do so many people just get up and leave without pushing in their chairs?

Once a month I supervise at one of the eateries on base.  This is not the only place I see this but today reminded me of how I hate people some times.  

I cannot begin to tell you how pissed off I am by the end of the day just from how lazy and inconsiderate people are.  Often times, I will head out to pick up the tables myself as I feel so badly for the staff, they have to deal with this all the time.

And yes, I have said something, more than once, to more than a few people about how lazy they are and the mess left behind.  Quite honestly, I am surprised no one has complained that I dared to say something to them.  

Your thoughts? 

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Replies (21-30):
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:33 PM

We treat an eating establishment the same way we treat our own dining room.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I don't pay much attention in restaurants as to how messy other customers are, but I don't work in a restaurant either. We always push in our chairs, only because.....well, obvious reason. My kids weren't allowed to throw things at the table at home, so they sure weren't allowed to do it in public. My kids always picked up after themselves.....they probably never knew there was a choice. ha

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:45 PM

If I'm in a fast food restaurant I go the extra mile to clean up after my kids. My two year old gets more on the floor than on him or in his mouth. I've gone so far as to get a broom and dust pan as well as wipe the table with a wet wipe when we're finished. If we're out where we are being served I do my best to keep from making a mess, which is practically impossible. I apologize to the server and leave extra in the tip. If my kids were maniacs I wouldn't take them out in public.

cerainwondrland
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:47 PM
I clean up a little if my 19mo makes a huge mess but I'm not going to crawl under the table to get food or anything. I'm not lazy my house is spotless...if I'm paying for a meal and leaving a tip then they can do their job and clean up
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Monkey see-monkey do.  After folks see other people leave a mess (or park in front of a driveway or permit their kids play with bouncy balls in every aisle of the Walmarts) and they figure "Why should I behave right when all these other people get to do it the easy way?"

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Quoting cerainwondrland:

I clean up a little if my 19mo makes a huge mess but I'm not going to crawl under the table to get food or anything. I'm not lazy my house is spotless...if I'm paying for a meal and leaving a tip then they can do their job and clean up

I hope you leave a tip worthy of cleaning up after  your child.

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting lga1965:

I know what you mean! It makes me angry to see how people are so lax and make messes.

Another thing that really ticks me off ( from the viewpoint of a former sales associate in a nice department store) is how people make so much of a mess when looking at clothes. They let garments fall off the hanger and just lie on the ground. And they take stacks of clothing and mess them all up. They leave tons of clothes in the dressing rooms. They leave their trash in the dressing rooms. I just go nuts when I see the messes and I help clean them up. I can't help myself. I hang up clothes and fold clothes into neat piles. I wonder if they think I am crazy! LOL.My granddaughters do--they laugh and say "Gramma, let them do it" and laugh. I think Kohls is the place where the customers are the messiest.

As a retail worker in the clothing department. Thank you!!! It is very frustrating when people leave such a huge mess. Or they pick up a piece of clothing from a display you just spent an hour fixing up just to look at it and drop it on the floor and walk away.
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Same here. If for some reason my kids make a mess that isn't so easy to pick up ourselves, or when the girls were babies and just messy, we always left extra tip money. At fast food places we always pick up our table and wipe it down.
Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Dh and I stack the plates for our waitress. I also clean up any messes (spills, crumbs, etc) the me or my children make throughout the meal. I can't stand messes. As far as chairs, if I think the push them in I do, but most of the time I am corraling 2 children, doggy bags, and my purse and just forget. :(

Naughty Wittle Puppy

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:42 PM

My children would not be very happy with themselves if they left a mess behind, because not only would mom get onto them, but DAD would have a fit. LOL

lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I agree.  I always do a quick cleanup and if my kids have dropped chunks of food on the floor, pick that up as well.  

People are just lazy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured