Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pick up after yourself and make your children do the same.

Posted by   + Show Post

I guess I could have posted this in the pet peeve thread but meh.......

I have noticed, more and more, that people are absolutly rude and lazy.  

When you are out to eat, regardless of the place, do you clean up after yourself or do you leave every thing for the help to clean up?  What about your children?  Do you allow them to make a huge mess and then leave it?  Why would you do this? Do you require they pick up after themselves or again, do you leave it for the help?

What about something as simple as pushing in your chair?  Why do so many people just get up and leave without pushing in their chairs?

Once a month I supervise at one of the eateries on base.  This is not the only place I see this but today reminded me of how I hate people some times.  

I cannot begin to tell you how pissed off I am by the end of the day just from how lazy and inconsiderate people are.  Often times, I will head out to pick up the tables myself as I feel so badly for the staff, they have to deal with this all the time.

And yes, I have said something, more than once, to more than a few people about how lazy they are and the mess left behind.  Quite honestly, I am surprised no one has complained that I dared to say something to them.  

Your thoughts? 

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Replies (31-36):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Same. When my kids were little if they made a mess, like spilled mac and cheese, and it wasn't easy to clean up I apologized and left a larger tip.

In general, I don't allow my children to go under the table and pick up dropped forks or food. It's dirty and filthy under there(that's where people's feet are all day) and I'm not having them crawl around after stuff.  They are old enough now that they don't usually drop food but occasionally will drop utensils.  

I may stack a few plates, but in general feel that I am paying not only for food but service as well. 

Quoting NWP:

Same here. If for some reason my kids make a mess that isn't so easy to pick up ourselves, or when the girls were babies and just messy, we always left extra tip money. At fast food places we always pick up our table and wipe it down.
Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Dh and I stack the plates for our waitress. I also clean up any messes (spills, crumbs, etc) the me or my children make throughout the meal. I can't stand messes. As far as chairs, if I think the push them in I do, but most of the time I am corraling 2 children, doggy bags, and my purse and just forget. :(

lga1965
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Quoting Bieg9093:

Monkey see-monkey do.  After folks see other people leave a mess (or park in front of a driveway or permit their kids play with bouncy balls in every aisle of the Walmarts) and they figure "Why should I behave right when all these other people get to do it the easy way?"

Some of us hate seeing that and become even more neat ,more considerate and more determined to expect our kids to be good. I really think we need to step up and set a good example wherever we go.

"I've long known rage was a life saver. I learned it from my mentor Rush Limbaugh, because every time you look at him you gotta ask, 'How is he still alive?'" -- Stephen Colbert
OneToughMami
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I hate going into a restaurant and there's something nasty left behind by the people who ate before me. I went to McDonald's Friday to get my daughter a Happy Meal (she took a really intense test for school, she deserved some junk food lol) and I told her to sit in the one booth and she made this "um no" face. Someone left all the junk from the breakfast just sitting there as if McDonald's has someone who comes and buses the table. Throw your shit away.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:28 PM

We clean our plates and trash off the table.  DH sweeps the crumbs into a napkin, I sweep them onto the floor.  Every once in a while I find myself in one of those places where you can't figure out where or if to bus your table, but I would never normally leave anything but the occasional crumb.  But...unless a place is crazy-busy, I don't see why leaving something on the table would be a big problem.  I would assume that employees periodically going out and wiping all unoccupied tabletops would be the norm.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Bieg9093:

Monkey see-monkey do.  After folks see other people leave a mess (or park in front of a driveway or permit their kids play with bouncy balls in every aisle of the Walmarts) and they figure "Why should I behave right when all these other people get to do it the easy way?"

Some of us hate seeing that and become even more neat ,more considerate and more determined to expect our kids to be good. I really think we need to step up and set a good example wherever we go.

I'm with you.  But it's a losing battle. 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Depends where I eat....in mall type situations...my kids will pick up after themselves as do I and clean the table down as best as we can, they are also taught to push their chairs in.

In restaurants...we will stack and clean as best we can.

In restaurants that have silver service ...well my kids are taught proper ettiquette and will await clearing my signalling that they have finished (placing the knife and fork together in the middle of the plate)

I try to help the cleaners and wait staff (we dont tip unless its silver service, for obvious reasons) as well as teaching my kids not to be pigs.  My SIL believes we should leave a mess so the cleaners have a job...IMO in the mall...cleaners will never lose their jobs. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN