Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Being alone is such a sad way to live life.....

Posted by   + Show Post

Yep, that is what some one said to me today.

I have no interest in a boyfriend.  The term 'boyfriend' sounds so hilarious to me, at my age. lol   But any way, I am happy being without.  I am not lonely and I do not consider myself 'alone'.  I am actually very well adjusted without a man.  

But time and again I have people telling me they find it to be sad, that I choose to be alone, that I may very well be alone the rest of my life. 

Why?

What is wrong with a woman making the conscience choice not to be involved with someone?  Am I supposed to find some man?  Why?  What for?

I find it sad that people feel a woman needs a man to be complete.

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:23 PM

There are times when I think back, fondly, to my days as a single mother: no compromising on decisions, no listening to someone snore next to me and wishing it was legal to smother that person with a pillow, no etc.

Not being in a relationship doesn't mean you're alone...some women are married and are more alone than they ever thought they would be.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Quoting lizmarie1975:

There are times when I think back, fondly, to my days as a single mother: no compromising on decisions, no listening to someone snore next to me and wishing it was legal to smother that person with a pillow, no etc.

Not being in a relationship doesn't mean you're alone...some women are married and are more alone than they ever thought they would be.

You bring up a good point.  During a good portion of my marriage, I was more alone than any time since.  That was the worst feeling.  I do not care to ever feel that again.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:12 AM

Bleh I wonder if they have tried it. It is up to the individual where or not it is a sad way to live. It can be very freeing.

cats911
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:51 AM
1 mom liked this

SO TRUE!!!!!!!!!

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:50 AM
My mom was 50 when my Dad passed away suddenly. She has never dated and it's been 13 years. She said she was very happily married for 20 plus years and now she is happily single. She simply likes her life and has no desire to meet a man
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GOBryan
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:20 AM

It's foolish when people place themselves in your shoes along with their feelings of the situation. If my husband passes away before me, I'm done and right now I'm 46. I have my kids and that's all I need. I'll continue joining groups and having male friends but no way, no how do I want another man moving in with me or telling me what to do. Especially with my kids. 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM

My sister gets it all the time...she loves her life and sometimes I envy her :-)

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I haven't been without a boyfriend since 5th grade. I love my husband and i am so thankful to have him but i'd be fine alone.

Not when i was younger. I guess it was a self esteem thing. If a boy likes you you must be okay, right?

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Ugh, people really need to mind their own business.

punky3175
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I knew there was a reason I liked you so much. :-) For the last two weeks (minus this weekend cuz I couldn't take it anymore) I've been dealin with a friend who basically got dumped right before NYE by the girl she'd been dating. This woman is 42/43 years old and can't stand no being in a relationship. She actually asked how I'd gone so long without one. I explained I just don't feel the need to be with someone. I'm generally happier on my own. I like my space. Luckily the guy I've been dating for the last few months feels the same.

I will NEVER be able to understand the driving need to be with someone else no matter how badly they treat you (the girl she was dating didn't treat her badly - they just weren't at all compatible.) There is another woman who is allowing herself to be emotionally abused because she's so scared of being alone. Both of these women are in their mid-40's and all I can think is 'how have you gotten to this point in your life and NOT learned to be comfortable/confident on your own? Why do you depend on someone else for your happiness?'

I'll never understand it. I'm quite content to turn into 'crazy cat lady.' :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN