Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son's pre-shcool teacher lost her mother a few days ago. She is more than just a pre-school teacher, she also sometimes babysits for us. My sons really love her and we are almost friends but not close friends by any means. I did not know her Mom at all. They are holding a visitation on Monday and a service and funeral on Tuesday. Should I go to any of them? What is the norm? I was thinking to just go to the visitation with the older DS for a short while, but I really don't know what i should do. Any one knows about funeral etiquette?

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Replies (31-33):
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Quoting Peanutx3:

It is whatever you are comfortable with.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
JCB911
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:36 PM

My father passed one year ago this month (Jan 26th).  That is what we did as well.  He wasn't one to want a huge commmotion and neither did we to be honest.  Funerals can be what you want them to be - as little or as much, as long or as short. My Dad's visitation was from 5-7, service at 7. Food at the visitation.  He was buried at a later date (the following week).  Just my sister and I attended the burial.

I'm not sure if all in one day is a trend, i just think people are sick of doing the traditional thing just b/c it's traditional.  I think people are more likely to do their own thing nowadays.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

That is what we did for my Dad and my grandmother. Everything the same day.

Quoting ILive4This:

Since we're on the subject, I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this.  My son lost his best friend a couple weeks ago (24 yo :-( ).   They had the wake and funeral all in one day.  Wake from 10-2, funeral at 3, and then had all his friends to a dinner that evening.  I wondered if this was a new trend, b/c someone else I mentioned it to had been to something similar, recently.

CafeMom Tickers

Debmomto2girls
by Debbie on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:06 PM
I agree. My Dad's was 13 years ago and my grandmother 8 years ago. We even did the burial the same day. Visitation and service was at the funeral home, they were both buried in a military cemetery and we had a late lunch at a restaurant nearby. They were both very low fuss people.

Quoting JCB911:

My father passed one year ago this month (Jan 26th).  That is what we did as well.  He wasn't one to want a huge commmotion and neither did we to be honest.  Funerals can be what you want them to be - as little or as much, as long or as short. My Dad's visitation was from 5-7, service at 7. Food at the visitation.  He was buried at a later date (the following week).  Just my sister and I attended the burial.

I'm not sure if all in one day is a trend, i just think people are sick of doing the traditional thing just b/c it's traditional.  I think people are more likely to do their own thing nowadays.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

That is what we did for my Dad and my grandmother. Everything the same day.

Quoting ILive4This:

Since we're on the subject, I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this.  My son lost his best friend a couple weeks ago (24 yo :-( ).   They had the wake and funeral all in one day.  Wake from 10-2, funeral at 3, and then had all his friends to a dinner that evening.  I wondered if this was a new trend, b/c someone else I mentioned it to had been to something similar, recently.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured