Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
What age did your child(ren) first attend a funeral showing?

What age do you think is appropriate to attend a showing?

I am unsure what is appropriate. My grandmother passed away today. Our boys saw her a few times a year, sent her cards from time to time, and received birthday cards from her for every birthday. I am curious as to others' experiences and how they handled it with their children.

Update:
Thanks ladies!! Death is something we talk about regularly in our house as their older sister died as an infant and DH's brother died about 11 years ago. We actually just celebrated their sister's birthday last weekend as a family. They are 5.5, 4.5, and 3. I think we will take them but DH will bring them home after a quick visit. I appreciate all your responses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Replies (11-16):
jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I don't believe there should be any age requirement to attend a funeral.

JCB911
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:55 PM

My Dad died a year ago.  My children attended the funeral, they were almost 2 and 4.5 yrs old.  I wanted a closed casket anyway b/c I think it's wierd that people want to look at a dead body and I know my Dad always said " I don't want a bunch of people gawking at me".  So it was open casket for those who would find that helpful, but closed once I got there.  So my kids, my 4.5 y/o anyway, knew he was at a "funeral" but he didn't know that grandpa was in the box up at the front - he probably just thought it was a fancy table for the flowers or something.  The kids were just there for the visitation, them FIL took them home. I wanted everyone to see the grandkids my Dad loved so much.  

I was always (and perhaps still am), freaked out by the whole viewing thing.  So if we were to go to a funeral where there was a viewing, I'd either go without the kids or keep them away from the casket.

My DS knew that Grandpa had died, that he's in heaven, and that we won't be seeing him again (for awhile at least).  He's been to the cementary - we call it a "memory spot"  but he doesn't know there are dead bodies in the ground there.  He just knows that each person has a headstone, and it's their special "memory spot".

My Grandma just passed away last month, there will not be a funeral, b/c there are so few people left.  Maybe 10 people.  DS knows that great-grandma died as well, and is in heaven. 

CafeMom Tickers

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:01 PM
My kids were 5 and 1 (14 months) when my mom died. We didn't have a viewing, but they were at the funeral. And my oldest was 2 when my Granny died, we brought him to her funeral too.

I wouldn't take them to the funeral of someone they didn't know or we're close to, but I wouldn't keep them away from the funeral of someone they loved. There really isn't an age limit as far as I'm concerned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JCB911
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I don't think there is an age limit.  But if they aren't close, I won't make them go.  If they want to, or you want them to then sure.  But if not, then don't.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I could not attend a 'viewing' of any one. 

As for my children, a viewing probably would not have been some thing they would have attended at a young age.  As they got older, it would be up to them.

Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN