Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

U.S. Navy Ship Hoists Christian Flag Above American Flag

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:06 AM
  • 148 Replies
1 mom liked this

U.S. Navy Ship Hoists Christian Flag Above American Flag

January 13, 2013 By Hemant Mehta

The USS Arlington is described this way on its Facebook page:

We are the Navy's eighth amphibious transport dock ship in the San Antonio class. Named for Arlington County, Va., where American Airlines Flight 77 crashed into the Pentagon, which killed 184 people, the USS Arlington is one of three ships named in honor of the heroes and victims of September 11.

Very symbolic.

So what's up with this image and description just posted on the page?

Quartermasters Seaman Rashaun Plowden and 2nd Class Mary Carlton raise a church pennant above the American flag during worship services aboard USS Arlington (LPD 24) on Jan. 13, 2013.

Who knew Navy ships were Christian...?

I don't care if a group of Christian naval officers hold a worship service for themselves. They have that right.

But I've never seen a Muslim or atheist or Hindu or Jewish or any non-Christian symbol hoisted above the American flag before, certainly not on one of our Navy's vessels. (I'd love to be proven wrong if this is a normal occurrence for people of other faiths...)

In fact, one city's website explaining how flags should be flown says that "When other flags are flown from the same halyard, the U.S. flag should always be at the peak."

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:10 AM
3 moms liked this

The last sentence says it all. NO flag flown in the us should be above the American flag. I dont care who you are or what you believe.

Rhiannon1980
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:14 AM
It is wrong they put it above the US flag.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:59 AM
9 moms liked this

I opened this just so I could see what a Christian flag looked like...didn't know we had one.  Then I discovered it was a CHURCH pennant. 

Since the OP chooses to deliberately mislead just so she can take another jab at Christians in general....I won't waste my time on the rest of it.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Shouldn't the title say church flag?

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:06 AM
4 moms liked this

A Christian or Jewish pennant is flown above the US flag when a worship service is taking place. 

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:07 AM
7 moms liked this

The U.S. Flag Code provides that "No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy."

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/us%5Enchrh.html

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting smalltowngal:

A Christian or Jewish pennant is flown above the US flag when a worship service is taking place. 

Didn't know that.  :)

I don't see the big deal then.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Didn't know that.

Quoting smalltowngal:

The U.S. Flag Code provides that "No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy."

TerriAnne2606
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I did not think it was correct, especaially on a ship in the US to hoist ANY flag above the US flag. Very bad.  Texas can fly the Texas flag at the SAME height as the US flag but not ABOVE the US flag.  Don't know if any other state is that way, though.  But never above....  :(

TerriAnne2606
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Me, neither.

Quoting talia-mom:

Didn't know that.

Quoting smalltowngal:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)