Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Guns. accidental shooting......boy dead

12-year-old Missouri boy killed in accidental shooting

AP

Posted on January 14, 2013 at 5:17 AM

BRECKENRIDGE, Mo. (AP) -- A 12-year-old northwest Missouri boy is dead after accidentally shooting himself inside a home.

The Caldwell County Sheriff's Office says deputies were called to a home in Breckenridge around 8:45 p.m. Friday and found the child suffering from a gunshot wound.

Investigators say the boy was mishandling the gun when it went off. He was flown by helicopter to University of Kansas Medical Center where he died.

Breckenridge is a town of less than 400 people about 75 miles northeast of Kansas City.

Investigators say they haven't determined whether charges will be filed.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
krysstizzle
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd like your last sentence to be repeated.

Anyone blaming this incident on a 12yo should send their 12yo children and older out to start making a living and making it on their own.

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

We have a safe full of guns and even though our son has been taught gun safety he still has no access to them and he is never going to be given the combintation to the safe that holds the guns or the smaller one with the ammo. 12 is old enough to know better than to touch a gun but then children are not always known for making great decisions, hence the reason they need parents.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Lol, I was the same way and I was the oldest of five, my poor mom! And my son certainly does things on a regular basis that leave me scratchimg my head!  I started hunting with my grandfather when I was nine but the gun was never in my hands until he took it from the gunsafe and handed it to me. Leaving guns where children have access is just plain irresponsible, even when they know gun safety. 

Quoting mehamil1:

I did some pretty stupid things at 12. Mainly because I didn't know any better. If I had access to firearms I have no doubt I would have screwed around with them. I was such a little shit. Looking back on it I don't know how I survived my mother. I gave her more than enough reason to just drown me and be done with it. So maybe this kid was of the same kind of mindset. 

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

We have a safe full of guns and even though our son has been taught gun safety he still has no access to them and he is never going to be given the combintation to the safe that holds the guns or the smaller one with the ammo. 12 is old enough to know better than to touch a gun but then children are not always known for making great decisions, hence the reason they need parents.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Now, this just blows my mind. My son is 9 and I would never, ever, allow anyone to hand him a firearm and expect him to use it. Part of the reason why is because my kid is a little shit and I have no doubt he'd end up like the kid in this piece. 

Kids are kids and they are going to do stupid irresponsible things. This kid obviously did not know better even if we think he should have. He obviously didn't. However, the adult who owns it should have known better to keep it in a place where this kid couldn't get it. 

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

Lol, I was the same way and I was the oldest of five, my poor mom! And my son certainly does things on a regular basis that leave me scratchimg my head!  I started hunting with my grandfather when I was nine but the gun was never in my hands until he took it from the gunsafe and handed it to me. Leaving guns where children have access is just plain irresponsible, even when they know gun safety. 

Quoting mehamil1:

I did some pretty stupid things at 12. Mainly because I didn't know any better. If I had access to firearms I have no doubt I would have screwed around with them. I was such a little shit. Looking back on it I don't know how I survived my mother. I gave her more than enough reason to just drown me and be done with it. So maybe this kid was of the same kind of mindset. 

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

We have a safe full of guns and even though our son has been taught gun safety he still has no access to them and he is never going to be given the combintation to the safe that holds the guns or the smaller one with the ammo. 12 is old enough to know better than to touch a gun but then children are not always known for making great decisions, hence the reason they need parents

Cheribomb
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:56 AM

this is stupid parenting....   12yrs old is old enough for gun safety.  i have a 15yr old & 10 yr old & both KNOW not to touch our guns unless in danger.. both know how to load & hold gun.  i grew up in a house with a shotgun in every closet, hung aboove the doors.  

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Quoting krysstizzle:

Anyone blaming this incident on a 12yo should send their 12yo children and older out to start making a living and making it on their own.

It is not entirely the fault of the kid. We don't know enough about the story to determine who IS at fault. However.....can you honestly tell me that at 12 years old that you did NOT know that a gun was deadly?

Can anyone honestly say they did not know a gun was deadly at 12 years of age? No, not every 12 year old is taught gun safety, but they know enough to know they should NOT touch one.

And how the hell do you equate the responsibility of living on your own to simply having brain cells enough to know  NOT to touch a gun?

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I knew guns were deadly. 

However, being 12, I doubt that would have stopped me from screwing around with one if I found it. I'd be like, oh, a gun. So cooooooool!! I knew exactly what they could do and that would not stop me from picking it up and pretending to be Rambo or something. 

I wouldn't screw around with one now because I'm 27 and I don't know the first thing about handling a gun properly and I have no wish to shoot myself. At 12, I personally did not have that mindset. 

Quoting jehosoba84:
Quoting krysstizzle:

It is not entirely the fault of the kid. We don't know enough about the story to determine who IS at fault. However.....can you honestly tell me that at 12 years old that you did NOT know that a gun was deadly?

Can anyone honestly say they did not know a gun was deadly at 12 years of age? No, not every 12 year old is taught gun safety, but they know enough to know they should NOT touch one.

And how the hell do you equate the responsibility of living on your own to simply having brain cells enough to know  NOT to touch a gun?

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Quoting mehamil1:

I knew guns were deadly. 

However, being 12, I doubt that would have stopped me from screwing around with one if I found it. I'd be like, oh, a gun. So cooooooool!! I knew exactly what they could do and that would not stop me from picking it up and pretending to be Rambo or something. 

I wouldn't screw around with one now because I'm 27 and I don't know the first thing about handling a gun properly and I have no wish to shoot myself. At 12, I personally did not have that mindset. 

Quoting jehosoba84:
Quoting krysstizzle:

Well maybe I'm just strange, cause I sure as hell did have that mindset. I knew better. And I did take a gun safety course when I was 12.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I was born and raised in Chicago. I still live here. Those who have guns tend to either be criminals or police. I personally have only seen guns on tv and on police officiers. That is the culture of this city and my own personal experience. Guns are not a way of life here (maybe on the southside, but it might as well be a warzone over there). At 12 I knew next to nothing about how to handle guns. There wasn't a gun in this house. There is a gun here now but that's only because my father works as a security guard. He keeps the gun in one place and the bullets in another. He unloads it before he even gets into the house. He does this because if my son got at it and something happened, he'd never be able to forgive himself. 

What happened to this kid is awful and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But he's not responsible for it. 

Quoting jehosoba84:
Quoting mehamil1:

I knew guns were deadly. 

Quoting jehosoba84:
Quoting krysstizzle:

Well maybe I'm just strange, cause I sure as hell did have that mindset. I knew better. And I did take a gun safety course when I was 12.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM

How sad.

funlovinlady
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Sad, but I was raised around guns. I was hunting small game alone at 12 ( shame on my parents lol)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN