Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Guns. accidental shooting......boy dead

12-year-old Missouri boy killed in accidental shooting

AP

Posted on January 14, 2013 at 5:17 AM

BRECKENRIDGE, Mo. (AP) -- A 12-year-old northwest Missouri boy is dead after accidentally shooting himself inside a home.

The Caldwell County Sheriff's Office says deputies were called to a home in Breckenridge around 8:45 p.m. Friday and found the child suffering from a gunshot wound.

Investigators say the boy was mishandling the gun when it went off. He was flown by helicopter to University of Kansas Medical Center where he died.

Breckenridge is a town of less than 400 people about 75 miles northeast of Kansas City.

Investigators say they haven't determined whether charges will be filed.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Replies (31-40):
jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Quoting krysstizzle:

Ah yes, it was so much better back when 12 year old had more expected of them, like working in factories 10 hours a day.

Romanticize the past is disingenuous.

We know now about brain development. We know children do not have the same reasoning capacity
as adults. I'd say ignoring that fact is ignorant.

This is a case of irresponsible adults. Darwin has nothing to do with it. Fyi, natural selection within a culture that removes all natural selectants is not the same as Darwin's natural selection.

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Do you imagine 12 year olds always exercise good judgement?

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Anyone blaming this incident on a 12yo should send their 12yo children and older out to start making a living and making it on their own.

It is not entirely the fault of the kid. We don't know enough about the story to determine who IS at fault. However.....can you honestly tell me that at 12 years old that you did NOT know that a gun was deadly?

Can anyone honestly say they did not know a gun was deadly at 12 years of age? No, not every 12 year old is taught gun safety, but they know enough to know they should NOT touch one.

And how the hell do you equate the responsibility of living on your own to simply having brain cells enough to know  NOT to touch a gun?

I guess my perception of 12 year old is WAY off, if everyone else's comments on this are anything to go by. I think that we don't hold 12 year olds up to the same standards that society used to. Kids today have ZERO personal responsibility for their actions. It's always the parents fault.

When I was 12, I sure as hell knew better than to touch a gun, and I had a healthy enough fear of my elders to not do it anyway, even if I knew it wasn't loaded.     The fact that many people posting comments on this say that even when 'they' were 12 they would have picked up a gun, even knowing better, is absolutley no excuse for their actions. They are all idiots, in my personal opinion. This is just a very sad case of darwinism in effect.

Oh, for heaven's sake. Noone wants kids working in factories. But my grandmother tells me about when she was young. She was responsible for doing the family's laundry when she was 7 years old. I cannot even fathom depending on my dd to do our laundry. And that was when there were no washing machines. THAT is what I mean about our kids and personal responsibility. We don't even expect it of them anymore. They ARE capable of it.

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Teaching kids personal responsibility is as important as a parent taking personal responsibility; that is, a parent understands their child is not fully capable of making responsible choices because their brains simply aren't fully developed yet.

Where did I ever insinuate children shouldn't be taught personal responsibility? But i'm not about to put that responsibility to the test with guns (mine or others guns). My 11 and 8 year old are expected to fold and put up their laundry. I'll stick to letting them practice responsibility with clothes. If they falter in judgement, at least wadded up clothes in the drawer wont get anybody killed.

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Ah yes, it was so much better back when 12 year old had more expected of them, like working in factories 10 hours a day.

We know now about brain development. We know children do not have the same reasoning capacity

This is a case of irresponsible adults. Darwin has nothing to do with it. Fyi, natural selection within a culture that removes all natural selectants is not the same as Darwin's natural selection.

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Anyone blaming this incident on a 12yo should send their 12yo children and older out to start making a living and making it on their own.

It is not entirely the fault of the kid. We don't know enough about the story to determine who IS at fault. However.....can you honestly tell me that at 12 years old that you did NOT know that a gun was deadly?

Can anyone honestly say they did not know a gun was deadly at 12 years of age? No, not every 12 year old is taught gun safety, but they know enough to know they should NOT touch one.

And how the hell do you equate the responsibility of living on your own to simply having brain cells enough to know  NOT to touch a gun?

I guess my perception of 12 year old is WAY off, if everyone else's comments on this are anything to go by. I think that we don't hold 12 year olds up to the same standards that society used to. Kids today have ZERO personal responsibility for their actions. It's always the parents fault.

When I was 12, I sure as hell knew better than to touch a gun, and I had a healthy enough fear of my elders to not do it anyway, even if I knew it wasn't loaded.     The fact that many people posting comments on this say that even when 'they' were 12 they would have picked up a gun, even knowing better, is absolutley no excuse for their actions. They are all idiots, in my personal opinion. This is just a very sad case of darwinism in effect.

Oh, for heaven's sake. Noone wants kids working in factories. But my grandmother tells me about when she was young. She was responsible for doing the family's laundry when she was 7 years old. I cannot even fathom depending on my dd to do our laundry. And that was when there were no washing machines. THAT is what I mean about our kids and personal responsibility. We don't even expect it of them anymore. They ARE capable of it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Quoting krysstizzle:

Teaching kids personal responsibility is as important as a parent taking personal responsibility; that is, a parent understands their child is not fully capable of making responsible choices because their brains simply aren't fully developed yet.

Where did I ever insinuate children shouldn't be taught personal responsibility? But i'm not about to put that responsibility to the test with guns (mine or others guns). My 11 and 8 year old are expected to fold and put up their laundry. I'll stick to letting them practice responsibility with clothes. If they falter in judgement, at least wadded up clothes in the drawer wont get anybody killed.

Quoting jehosoba84:

We don't know that that's what happened here. I would never suggest a parent leave out a loaded weapon. But this kid may not have been at his house. We don't know where he was or what the circumstances were.  I would like to really hope that I teach my kids enough sense/responsibility to not touch a gun if they find themselves in the vicinity of one.

SallyStitches
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Sounds like the guns weren't securely locked away. A shame.
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM

How do you know they were careless?

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

how did he get his hand on the gun? Yes charges should be filed against the parents, they were careless!

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

How incredibly sad and preventable.

_ClearFruit_
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM
So sad.
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Absolutely!

My 3 yo feeds the dog, helps empty the dishwasher and set and clear the table plus put away her toys. My 8yo helps empty the dishwasher, fill the dishwasher, set and clear the table, clean her room, make her bed fold, hang and put away her own laundry. We are big on chores at our house. Kids should be taught to be responsible. They should be taught not to touch a gun and I have taught them that...I refuse to let them test out that lesson at home and just keep my fingers crossed that folks tell me the truth about guns in their house when she visits.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Naughty Wittle Puppy

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM

He may have known better, but as we can see, he did it anyway. Human stupidity, it fucking sucks. 

Quoting ArianEponae:

At that age, you should know better than to touch the gun...
Quoting mehamil1:

Not if the kid didn't have a clue on how to handle a gun. I know I didn't at 12. I had never even seen a gun out of a police officers holster. 

Who's gun was it? How did the kid get at it? Why didn't that person demonstrate how to handle the gun properly? The blame rests with the owner of the damn thing. 

Quoting jehosoba84:

A 12 year old should know better.  It's a sucky thing to say, but it's true.

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM
You should also hope that somehow their brains are developed far beyond their normal capacity as children then, too.

I get what you're saying, but it falls on the adults around children to make sure a 12 year doesn't have to make a life and death decision.

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting jehosoba84:

We don't know that that's what happened here. I would never suggest a parent leave out a loaded weapon. But this kid may not have been at his house. We don't know where he was or what the circumstances were.  I would like to really hope that I teach my kids enough sense/responsibility to not touch a gun if they find themselves in the vicinity of one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured