Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Guns. accidental shooting......boy dead

12-year-old Missouri boy killed in accidental shooting

AP

Posted on January 14, 2013 at 5:17 AM

BRECKENRIDGE, Mo. (AP) -- A 12-year-old northwest Missouri boy is dead after accidentally shooting himself inside a home.

The Caldwell County Sheriff's Office says deputies were called to a home in Breckenridge around 8:45 p.m. Friday and found the child suffering from a gunshot wound.

Investigators say the boy was mishandling the gun when it went off. He was flown by helicopter to University of Kansas Medical Center where he died.

Breckenridge is a town of less than 400 people about 75 miles northeast of Kansas City.

Investigators say they haven't determined whether charges will be filed.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Replies (41-44):
LittleBirdFly
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Just because I dont think a 12 year old shouldnt handle a gun. The article didnt say how or why he had it, so maybe he just took it?

Quoting stormcris:

How do you know they were careless?

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

how did he get his hand on the gun? Yes charges should be filed against the parents, they were careless!

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

Just because I dont think a 12 year old shouldnt handle a gun. The article didnt say how or why he had it, so maybe he just took it?

Quoting stormcris:

How do you know they were careless?

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

how did he get his hand on the gun? Yes charges should be filed against the parents, they were careless!

If a child is taught about gun safety, and the gun itself...and is supervised, there is nothing wrong with a 12 year old handing a gun.

Obviously this does not apply to all 12 year olds.

Any one who has weapons in their home, regardless of how they are stored or otherwise, should ensure all children in the home are well educated.

I do not know exactly what happened in this case so I am not going to assume any thing.  Just responding to your statement about 12 year olds not handling guns.

Mystres
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I am very Pro Gun.  Heck I carry every day.

Any Responsible Gun Owning Parent

Would of and should of had the guy put up correctly and out of the childs hands

Also their child should of been tought the correct way to handle a gun, and what to do if they found a gun out and not put up. 

I am sorry this happined.  I hope if they have more children in their home, they have learned that the guy should never be out for a child to get ahold of.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Parents did a shitty job protecting that child. They should have kept it in a locked box and the key with them at all times

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN