Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No tax increases if you make under $250K....hmmm

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM
  • 56 Replies

"I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."Obama

Well, looks like we'll be paying at least a over $1,200 more a year.  First paycheck of the year was a little more than $50 less than last years.  Thank you for that firm pledge Mr. President.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/promise/515/no-family-making-less-250000-will-see-any-form-tax/

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adrianasmommy07
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM
4 moms liked this
There was NOT a tax increase. There was a temporary reduction in social security taxes that has now ended. Ya know since the program in question is a hot button issue as its going broke, we cant afford to drain it any further.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
imapepper
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Social security is a tax: http://taxes.about.com/b/2013/01/03/social-security-tax-for-2013.htm 

"The Social Security tax for 2013 reverts back to its normal rates."

I know SS is broke, thanks to all politicians, and we can't afford to drain it any further.  I'm just stating that Obama said no taxes would go up.  We'll survive making $1,200 less a year.  I know others who barely scrape by so any little bit out of their paycheck hurts.

I also know that he did not technically raise SS taxes, he just let the cut expire.  But a tax is a tax and he said none would go up for anyone making under $250K

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Just like the Bush cuts...letting the tax holiday expire isn't a tax hike.

You're no longer getting a discount. That doesn't mean they've raised the price.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM

He was talking about the AHA.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Your Social Security withholding went up.

Wait until you see what the "Affordable"(lol) Health Care Act does to your premiums.  My cousin's family coverage went from $11,000 per year to 22,000 per year.

JanuaryBaby06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:20 PM

under his plan we wouldnt have had to pay more. His plan was shot down time and time again and then we fell off the cliff. Something had to be done in order for Congres to sign off on it. He had to give up raising it for those under 500,000 but that money would have to be made up for else where. It's going to be tough but still isnt bad and i rather pay towards social security then any other program.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

He was dumb to make the promise when tax rates were so ridiculously low.  

I am sick of hearing about the 2% increase in social security.  I really don't know who in the world thought this would be permanent.  It has only been two years, wasn't anyone working 2 years ago?  This tax break was the same thing as the GW Bush checks we got in the mail.  Remember those?  This was done over time to ensure the money went back into the economy, since so many people saved the Bush checks.  It did go back into the economy, and accomplished what it was meant to.  Now it's done.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:26 PM

The insurance company DOUBLED it's premiums?  The benefits coordinator better get on the stick and shop around.  So far I haven't heard of any insurance company doubling it's premiums.

If the company just stopped paying for these premiums for employees that is just business, right?

Quoting TranquilMind:

Wait until you see what the "Affordable"(lol) Health Care Act does to your premiums.  My cousin's family coverage went from $11,000 per year to 22,000 per year.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Oh, that's definitely going to happen sooner or later.  This particular case was a sole proprietorship, so no benefits coordinator. 

Ours went up from 250 a year per person to $4000 (and we are talking a well-paid professional, not lowest man on the totem pole). 

Quoting stacymomof2:

The insurance company DOUBLED it's premiums?  The benefits coordinator better get on the stick and shop around.  So far I haven't heard of any insurance company doubling it's premiums.

If the company just stopped paying for these premiums for employees that is just business, right?

Quoting TranquilMind:

OneDay.
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Sigh
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured