Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why are you suggesting I leave?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 161 Replies

Poll

Question: Should I let them play?

Options:

Yes

No

Infamous other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 114

View Results

Our pediatrician's office has a fantastic play area with many toys that my kids LOVE to play with. Thy love it so much that they beg me to go early or stay afterwrds so that they can play. The last time we went I let my kids play for about 20 minutes after both of their appointments. We were the ONLY people in the waiting area. In fact, it's typically only me and perhaps one to two other parents with their kids.

The receptionist made what I found to be a rude comment the last time I was there. She told me that, "this is a doctor's office, not Gymboree." I was so embarrassed that I left.

My son has a follow up visit this afternoon. I know my kids are going to want to play. I can't go early because the appoitment coincides with my daughter's pick up from pre-school.

Would you stay and play anyway? Is it tacky?

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katy_kay08
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM
4 moms liked this

Our doctor's office doesn't have a play area because those toys and things in them cannot be kept as clean as they should be and are a breeding ground for illness.  

I would not let my kids stay and play at the doctor's office as people are trying to work, take calls and children playing can create a distraction, AND I'm completely grossed out by the germs that are multiplying on the toys, especially now that I know how horrible this flu is that's going around.  

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:25 PM
3 moms liked this
Sure I would, that's what it is there for. Many kids are scared if going to the doctor and a play area helps with anxiety. I would have told the nurse to mind her fucking business, the asinine rates doctors charge I will let my kids play all damn day if I want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM
I would have stayed a bit just to spite her. She's a receptionist. She isn't anybody to talk to you like that.

I'm a bit bitter toward bitchy ass receptionists right now after one botched on the phone to her friend that she didnt get to leave an hour early because "this walk in came in and they let her in" talkin about me like I wasn't literally looking in her face at tht moment unable to fucking breathe and getting a little over 80% of my oxygen

Rant over
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:28 PM
3 moms liked this

No, I would not stay.  

Take the kiddos some where else to play for a bit after the appointment.

ETA:  What the receptionist said was rude, or the way she said it.

parentalrights1
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:28 PM
4 moms liked this
Quoting katy_kay08:

Our doctor's office doesn't have a play area because those toys and things in them cannot be kept as clean as they should be and are a breeding ground for illness.  

I would not let my kids stay and play at the doctor's office as people are trying to work, take calls and children playing can create a distraction, AND I'm completely grossed out by the germs that are multiplying on the toys, especially now that I know how horrible this flu is that's going around.  

I get the reasons you suggested except for the distraction bit. If kids playing is a distraction they wouldn't need to have a play area at all
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Our old peds office had an entire nautical themed playground out back... we regularly stayed an extra 30+ minutes to play.   That's what it's there for!   I would stay anyway.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Quoting katy_kay08:

When they were younger I felt the same way. Now I just wash their hands really well on the way out.

Like some other people mentioned it's an anxiety reliever. I've come to realize that if my kids don't get to play, especially my daughter, going back to next time is torturous for me.

Thanks for your input!

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting parentalrights1:

Quoting katy_kay08:

I get the reasons you suggested except for the distraction bit. If kids playing is a distraction they wouldn't need to have a play area at all

Those are my personal reasons.  I'm a firm believer in respecting the people around you and making choices that minimimize impact on others.  It's a personal choice but it's an important one to me.   I would take my kids to the park or an indoor play area afterwards if we had time.  

parentalrights1
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Quoting katy_kay08:

I know. I'm just saying there will be kids visiting and playing all day so they will be distracted at some point, so I would think they would just do away with it if it was causing problems. Not necessarily the OP specifically
Bonita131
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:35 PM
8 moms liked this

I wouldn't stay, it's a doctors office not a free play area. The receptionist was right, but how she worded it was wrong.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN