Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

O/T - Weight-Loss

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM
  • 76 Replies

I absolutely can not lose weight. I am at a total loss as to why. I have been working out at the gym daily for two weeks, twice-daily 3 times a week. I use the treadmill, elliptical, weight machines, ab roller and medicine ball. "Short" work-outs are 60 minutes long, a standard work-out is 90 minutes long. I cover anywhere from 3 to 5 miles during a single gym session.

I thought perhaps it was my caloric intake, so I began charting my food last week. I average around 1900 calories per day, which I know is a little high for optimal weight-loss, as this is the base amount I would consume to maintain my weight if I wasn't working out at the gym, but I would still expect to lose around 1 lb per week, based on calories burned during my gym sessions. I've had no such luck. In fact, I gained a pound. GAINED.

I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice? I'm going to try to better control the number of calories I consume from tomorrow onward, since I'm currently on-track to consume 1900 calories today unless I skip dinner, but lord, I get so damn hungry! I can only imagine how bad it will be when I drop to 1600 calories per day.

If anyone has any tips, I'm open.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Linda on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I think 1900 calories on that kind of workout regime is probably not enough calories to lose weight on.

How tall are you and what do you weigh? 

radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I am 5'3" and 182 lbs.

Quoting LindaClement:

I think 1900 calories on that kind of workout regime is probably not enough calories to lose weight on.

"Roger that. Over."

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM

have you had your thyroid checked?

radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Not since my last routine check-up, which was probably close to a year ago. I know I'm supposed to have a CBC done in March because my cholesterol was a cause of concern (it has been steadily dropping over the last 2 years, but it is still a bit too high).

This is the highest my weight has ever been, and I've never had this kind of trouble losing weight. I normally get stuck between 145 and 150, but I am usually able to lose 15-20 lbs with no problem. After I had my daughter, I lost over 60 lbs with minimal effort. Maybe it is my thyroid...

Quoting talia-mom:

have you had your thyroid checked?

"Roger that. Over."

Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:25 PM
2 moms liked this

1.  You need to figure out how many calories your body expends in your ordinary everyday life, then eat less than that.  If you normally would burn 2000 calories per day and want to lose 1 pound per week, then you would need to eat 1500 calories per day.  You might not be losing weight because your calorie expenditure is not as high as you think it is.  It sucks, but some people have low metabolisms.  If your resting metabolic rate is abnormally low, you're going to struggle more than most people with losing weight. 

2.  Maybe you are eating more calories than you think you are.  Try measuring and weighing your portions and see if that helps.

3.  Keep a diary of what you are eating and what you are expending.  My favorite way to do this is at myfitnesspal.com, but you can just use paper and pen if you don't want to join another online community. 

Good luck.  Once you start to see results it'll feel awesome.  I lost 80 pounds last year, which is how I learned this stuff.  You can do it!

LindaClement
by Linda on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah... that's probably way under in calories. Your basal metabolic rate is probably close to 1600 calories/day just to keep breathing while standing around. Add that kind of intense exercise, and the demands of building muscle tissue, and you're probably shy (at 1900) at least 200 a day, maybe more.

Much more if you aren't getting enough sleep and rest, which also increases your calorie requirements (and lowers your ability to lose weight)...

You need to eat when you're hungry, and stop when you're no longer hungry --as opposed to full. If it takes three bites of an apple and half an ounce of cheese, that's fine. If it takes 16oz of dinner, that's fine, too. 

You can trust your body: if you're hungry you NEED to eat. The trick is to stick, 100% of the time, to real food. Not 'diet' anything, not 'lite' anything ... just food.

Quoting radioheid:

I am 5'3" and 182 lbs.

Quoting LindaClement:

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:26 PM

It is common to gain weight when you first start working out. Your body retains water as your muslces heal themselves. That's why a lot of times, when you take a week off from working out, you still loose weight. You'll probably start seeing weight loss in the next week or two.

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Do you drink alcohol?  What kinds of food do you eat?  Lots of dairy, wheat, sodium?  These can all cause water retention.  High-fiber foods like raw fruits and vegetables and nuts are best for weight-loss.  

LittlePiggies5
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:33 PM
When i was pregnant i ate tons of ice (craving) and weight was falling off....apparently your body works hard and loses calories because it's trying to warm that ice down........
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I think 2 things:

Firstly, you are most likely building muscle.  Possibly while you are loosing fat - are you even a little sore sometimes?  It's not uncommon to see weight go unchanged or even up a little the first month or so.  All that gorgeous fat-burning muscle can and will retain water, and fill up with blood, as well.

Did you think to take your measurements before you started?  I bet if you did, you'd see them slipping down a bit.  Oh, maybe not enough to notice yet in your clothing, but you'd probably see a slight difference.

Are you drinking a gazillion gallons of water a day?  :)  Do it. 

Secondly, if you are ALWAYS hungry, then you aren't eating properly.  Those new muscles are burning calories just by existing (because you rip them when you work them hard, and they are in a constant state of repair), thereby increasing your metabolism and you simply MUST continue to throw fuel on the flames - eat, and eat right.

Eat 4 to 5 (or even 6, if you need to) smaller meals a day, consisting of protein and a healthy carb, and pretty much all the veggies you can handle.

I started Body For Life (again) on January 2.  Google it - it's free, and it will kick your ass, lol.

Here's a few things I've learned -

If the scale is making you nuts, put it away or toss it.  

It can easily take 4 to 6 weeks to even begin to really notice a change!  I mean, you didn't put it on in 3 weeks now did you?

Eat when you need to, and don't be afraid of vitamin suppliments.  Drink tons of water.

Join fitday.com - input your activities, your food (that's a bit of a pain as you have to add your custom food sometimes but it helps) and see what caloric deficiency you need to loose a pound in a healthy manner.

I'm 45 now - it just comes off more slowly.  But once it does, holy shit!

Building muscles ROCKS.  My first Body for Life about 4 years ago, my metabolism changed so much that if I'm eating healthy, I can still pretty much eat what I did then without gaining much.  I went from eating once a day to eating 6 times a day!!  Muscles need food.

Here's a typical eating day when I'm being a very good girl and working out hard:

Breakfast (post workout, I like to work out early with about 2 cups of coffee in me, so kind of a fasting state):

3 egg white 1 yolk omlette with tons of veg and a bit of salsa, over a piece of whole wheat toast

Lunch:  

Green salad with grilled chicken (mmmmmmm)

Snack:

Half a fuji apple with a little nut butter on it

Dinner:

Something equally healthy - ounce of steak, chicken, fish or pork, good helping of whole wheat pasta or rice, lots of steamed veg

Snack:

Half cup lowfat cottage cheese mixed with half cup of greek yoghurt, with a handful of berries thrown in

this is long but I hope it helps!  Don't give up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured