Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

They chose to die

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM
  • 45 Replies

Deaf Twins Euthanized in Belgium After Told They Were Going Blind

By James Rush and Damien Gayle, DAILY MAIL

Credit: RTL via Daily Mail

The unnamed twins who died together: They were euthanized by doctors at Brussels University Hospital, in Jette, on December 14, by lethal injection after spending their entire lives together.

January 14, 2013 Updated Jan 14, 2013 at 2:36 PM PST

A pair of identical twins, who were born deaf, have been killed by Belgian doctors after seeking euthanasia when they found out they would also soon go blind.

In a unique case under the country's euthanasia laws, the 45-year-old brothers, from Antwerp, chose death as they were unable to bear the thought of never seeing one another again.

They were euthanised by doctors at Brussels University Hospital, in Jette, on December 14 by lethal injection after spending their entire lives together.

Euthanasia is legal under Belgian law if those making the decision can make their wishes clear and are suffering unbearable pain, according to a doctor's judgement.

The Belgian law differs from that of Switzerland, famous for its Dignitas clinic, where only 'assisted suicide' is permitted. This means patients must play an active role in the administration of the drug that ends their lives.

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:49 PM
4 moms liked this

I believe that the right to die is a fundamental human right --no one has the right to force anyone who chooses otherwise to continue to live. If there could be a more heinous form of torture, I can't imagine what it might be.

I believe that 100% of the people who choose to end their own lives must do it themselves. (Because bodies have a way of disagreeing with brains, quite often.)

I agree that they can have the means supplied, but they must perform the act independently.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't imagine being blind and deaf. I think I'd make the same decision, if I knew it was highly unlikely that either of these two senses would ever be restored. Helen Keller I am NOT.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

PamR
by Pam on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I feel like people should be allowed to die when they are terminally ill and suffering.  But this doesn't seem right.  I can understand that they were upset and probably fearful to know that they would be both deaf and blind, but people function well with those disabilities.  Were they just overwhelmed or depressed soon after hearing this diagnosis? 

krysstizzle
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:52 PM
4 moms liked this

Choosing to end one's life should always be a right. 

As far as assisted suicide vs. euthanasia, I think assisted suicide is more appropriate. 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm still processing this.  I'm torn in who has the final say in what is ethical...

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM

That's very sad... but I do believe it is their right to decide whether to live or die.

thecoffeefairy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it's a persons right to choose, even though I cannot fathom not wanting to live.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I agree but have a question... What if the personis physically unable to "perform the act independently"? 

Quoting LindaClement:

I believe that the right to die is a fundamental human right --no one has the right to force anyone who chooses otherwise to continue to live. If there could be a more heinous form of torture, I can't imagine what it might be.

I believe that 100% of the people who choose to end their own lives must do it themselves. (Because bodies have a way of disagreeing with brains, quite often.)

I agree that they can have the means supplied, but they must perform the act independently.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Crazy

rfurlongg
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

That is a tough place to be. What a difficult choice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN