Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obama set to use children as political props in speech gun control

Posted by   + Show Post

Obama Will Unveil Gun Measures Flanked by Children From ‘Around the Country’ Who Wrote Concerned Letters

Roughly a month since the massacre of 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said that President Obama will be presenting gun control recommendations on Wednesday, flanked by children who wrote concerned letters in the aftermath of the tragedy.

“They will be joined by children from around the country who wrote the president letters in the wake of that tragedy expressing their concerns about gun violence and school safety, along with their parents,” he explained.

The steps could include ordering stricter action against people who lie on gun sale background checks, seeking to ensure more complete records in the federal background check database, striking limits on federal research into gun use, ordering tougher penalties against gun trafficking, and giving schools flexibility to use grant money to improve safety.

Obama is vowing not to back off his support for sweeping gun legislation that would require congressional backing – including banning assault weapons, limiting the capacity of ammunition magazines and instituting universal background checks – despite opposition from the influential gun lobby.

Fox News host Megyn Kelly broke the news during her broadcast Tuesday, via Gateway Pundit:

Kelly read her Twitter feed to get immediate reaction to Carney’s remarks.

“[People are] calling it disgusting, calling it shameless, one person pointing out that…those who feel differently than the president should have their own news conference with children whose lives were ​saved ​by guns.”

But White House officials believe that moving swiftly on gun proposals at a national level, before the shock over the Newtown shooting fades, gives Obama the best chance to get his proposals through Congress.

This is not the first time President Obama has utilized children and letter-writers in seeking support for his agenda.

After his position on gay marriage “evolved,” the president publicly responded to little Sophia’s letter about her two dads, and in a YouTube video uploaded roughly 3 years ago, the president read a series of “heartbreaking” letters about the nation’s health care system.

​The Associated Press contributed to this report.

source

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Replies (31-40):
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Holy cow. That's all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I wonder if the letters were the kids' ideas or someone else's? 

20 kids and 7 adults were just gunned down in an elementary school-this is in response to that...massacre in a school with mainly children victims- Can you see the connection and relevance?

I can see why others who frequent schools every day might be concerned, especially children.

Aslen
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Quoting Momniscient:

And? 20 children were killed by a gun just recently...

EXACTLY! 

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM
3 moms liked this

According to her, only criminals deserve to live ... and they should all have wonderful free defense against the evil homeowners. Ask her. She'll tell you every time. Criminals have 'rights' and us homeowners need to remember that and let them rob us, rape our children, and kill us ... and we should be darn thankful that eventually a cop will show up and help that criminal get a fair trial. No innocent person, and no law abiding person matters to her, unless they can be used to try and make guns illegal.

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting lga1965:

WOUNDING an intruder ....what is wrong with just WOUNDING them? Why do some moms here say that if you use a gun you must use it to kill, not wound? They say exactly that. That is the criminal mind at work- no better than an intruder.

I don't appreciate sarcasm when discussing something this serious.

Lady, Have you ever shot a weapon? Are you a sharpshooter? Even for those of us who ARE familar with our weapons, we probably would not all win awards with our aim. If someone is in my house will ill intent, I will aim center mass and shoot if they don't scramble as soon as they see me aiming at them. Sure, I could aim for their kneecap, but odds are I would miss. And if the intruder has a weapon of their own, which I may or may not know in the heat of the moment, I don't want to waste time on his kneecap anyway. He can still shoot back at me with a busted knee.

And btw, how DARE you call us evil for defending our families!?

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:14 PM
watdafuq....

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting jehosoba84:

People are] calling it disgusting, calling it shameless, one person pointing out that…those who feel differently than the president should have their own news conference with children whose lives were ​saved ​by guns.”

This ^^^

Part of peoples objection is based on the press conference Obama gave on Monday.  Many with in the media including those who support Obama, thought he came across as arrogant, antagonistic, and not willing to make any attempt at working with Republicans.  If nothing gets done in the next 4 years it will be the failure of Obama to be able to lead.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Linda on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Shades of Sandy Hook Conspiracy Theorists, here, I'm thinking...

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Gag.throwing up

They all do it.  Get rid of Republicans and Democrats.  Want something different -do something different. 

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh nooooo.  NO adults would convince kids to write letters to support their political aims.  Say it isn't so!

Quoting Sisteract:

I wonder if the letters were the kids' ideas or someone else's? 

20 kids and 7 adults were just gunned down in an elementary school-this is in response to that...massacre in a school with mainly children victims- Can you see the connection and relevance?

I can see why others who frequent schools every day might be concerned, especially children.

Billiejeens
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Quoting lga1965:

"Props" huh?  well good for him! It is an excellent approach . Kids still care about people and don't want to see people being killed with guns. Adults have become hard hearted and don't give a crap. They just want their guns and want to be able to use them when they think its handy. Too many people say they will kill intruders. That is evil.

So I say good for the President and more power to him!  good

You should write him a letter, maybe he will pick you.

cammibear
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM
2 moms liked this
I may be negative, but you are way too trusting Iga. Can you honestly not see how they are using tragedies to gain more control over people? How did you feel about the Patriot Act? I'm hopeful you will stop defending this President and see that he is no different than his predecessor.

What part of "the right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" upon BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT is so hard to understand? Federal government has no authority to tell law abiding citizens what guns they can or cannot have.

When the government becomes more powerful than the people, then the people are no longer free. Seriously, why are you so willing to give up your freedom? Have you learned nothing from history? Who gets to determine who is "mentally ill"? The quack psychiatrists? The government? No. Thanks.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting cammibear:

Never let a good tragedy go to waste...

I don't care who it is, using a tragedy like Sandy Hook to push through an unconstitutional political agenda is as evil as using a tragedy like 9/11 to push through an unconstitutional political agenda.

Nobody is going to ban all guns.  What makes you think they will decide to do something that is "Unconstitutional "????  You are way too negative and rigid in your thinking.

Background checks are essential ( crack down on Gun SHows) and more funding of efforts to identify and treat mental illness .....I hope both are  part of the effort to prevent more gun violence..

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured