Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama set to use children as political props in speech gun control

Posted by   + Show Post

Obama Will Unveil Gun Measures Flanked by Children From ‘Around the Country’ Who Wrote Concerned Letters

Roughly a month since the massacre of 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said that President Obama will be presenting gun control recommendations on Wednesday, flanked by children who wrote concerned letters in the aftermath of the tragedy.

“They will be joined by children from around the country who wrote the president letters in the wake of that tragedy expressing their concerns about gun violence and school safety, along with their parents,” he explained.

The steps could include ordering stricter action against people who lie on gun sale background checks, seeking to ensure more complete records in the federal background check database, striking limits on federal research into gun use, ordering tougher penalties against gun trafficking, and giving schools flexibility to use grant money to improve safety.

Obama is vowing not to back off his support for sweeping gun legislation that would require congressional backing – including banning assault weapons, limiting the capacity of ammunition magazines and instituting universal background checks – despite opposition from the influential gun lobby.

Fox News host Megyn Kelly broke the news during her broadcast Tuesday, via Gateway Pundit:

Kelly read her Twitter feed to get immediate reaction to Carney’s remarks.

“[People are] calling it disgusting, calling it shameless, one person pointing out that…those who feel differently than the president should have their own news conference with children whose lives were ​saved ​by guns.”

But White House officials believe that moving swiftly on gun proposals at a national level, before the shock over the Newtown shooting fades, gives Obama the best chance to get his proposals through Congress.

This is not the first time President Obama has utilized children and letter-writers in seeking support for his agenda.

After his position on gay marriage “evolved,” the president publicly responded to little Sophia’s letter about her two dads, and in a YouTube video uploaded roughly 3 years ago, the president read a series of “heartbreaking” letters about the nation’s health care system.

​The Associated Press contributed to this report.

source

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Replies (41-50):
Bethsunshine
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lga1965:

"Props" huh?  well good for him! It is an excellent approach . Kids still care about people and don't want to see people being killed with guns. Adults have become hard hearted and don't give a crap. They just want their guns and want to be able to use them when they think its handy. Too many people say they will kill intruders. That is evil.

So I say good for the President and more power to him!  good

I'm sure your "evil' neighbors who are gun owners will be more than happy to sit back and watch some lunatic break into your house and kill you lest they be accused of being "evil".

So what is YOUR strategy, should some maniac break into your house? Are you going to yell at him to leave you alone or you're going to whip a shoe at his head?

Your logic about who is "evil" is incredibly skewed.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting lga1965:

"Props" huh?  well good for him! It is an excellent approach . Kids still care about people and don't want to see people being killed with guns. Adults have become hard hearted and don't give a crap. They just want their guns and want to be able to use them when they think its handy. Too many people say they will kill intruders. That is evil.

I'm sure your "evil' neighbors who are gun owners will be more than happy to sit back and watch some lunatic break into your house and kill you lest they be accused of being "evil".

So what is YOUR strategy, should some maniac break into your house? Are you going to yell at him to leave you alone or you're going to whip a shoe at his head?

You all are picking on the wrong person.

She has the thought process of a 12 year old.

Obama just wants us to have health care, wants us to be safe, wants us to have enough food to eat and a toy.

She is child like, herself.

Bethsunshine
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Billiejeens:

That's not the word I would use to describe her but we'll go with that. My 10 year old has more sense than she does. She's the type of moron who would put a sign in her front yard proclaiming that her home is proudly gun free!
cammibear
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:21 PM
2 moms liked this
Don't blame her for the great demand our government is creating.

Your not seeing the big picture if you honestly think this is about guns or money.

Quoting NWP:

As for your first sentence...This can be said about the flip side of this issue as well. For example: There is one poster who has created at least two threads with the sole purpose of bragging about how much she has personally financially profited off of this terrible tragedy.
Personally, I would much rather see a focus on trying to save these children than bragging about how much money you make off of the gun hoarding paranoia that this tragedy has spawned. This attitude has also been showcased by others in the media...a kind of glorification of how much money the gun industry is pulling in right now. I find that disgusting, pasting a face on a really ugly pov of some who love guns and money more than people.

Quoting cammibear:

Never let a good tragedy go to waste...

I don't care who it is, using a tragedy like Sandy Hook to push through an unconstitutional political agenda is as evil as using a tragedy like 9/11 to push through an unconstitutional political agenda.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting Billiejeens:

That's not the word I would use to describe her but we'll go with that. My 10 year old has more sense than she does. She's the type of moron who would put a sign in her front yard proclaiming that her home is proudly gun free!

I wouldn't be shocked if your 10 year old was advanced for their age, probably has good genes.

I remember when I was 12, I probably thought about like lga.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

She is probably of the opinion that Obamacare is about health care too. 

Quoting cammibear:

Your not seeing the big picture if you honestly think this is about guns or money.

Quoting NWP:

As for your first sentence...This can be said about the flip side of this issue as well. For example: There is one poster who has created at least two threads with the sole purpose of bragging about how much she has personally financially profited off of this terrible tragedy.
Personally, I would much rather see a focus on trying to save these children than bragging about how much money you make off of the gun hoarding paranoia that this tragedy has spawned. This attitude has also been showcased by others in the media...a kind of glorification of how much money the gun industry is pulling in right now. I find that disgusting, pasting a face on a really ugly pov of some who love guns and money more than people.

Quoting cammibear:

I don't care who it is, using a tragedy like Sandy Hook to push through an unconstitutional political agenda is as evil as using a tragedy like 9/11 to push through an unconstitutional political agenda.

lga1965
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this
You are a mean spirited radical right wing hag.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting lga1965:

You all are picking on the wrong person.

She has the thought process of a 12 year old.

Obama just wants us to have health care, wants us to be safe, wants us to have enough food to eat and a toy.

She is child like, herself.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiesthatbind
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:50 PM
2 moms liked this

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:57 PM
What a stupid complaint.
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:17 PM
2 moms liked this
You are not seeing the bigger picture if you dont

Quoting cammibear:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting cammibear:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN