Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teacher Sues because she's Afraid of Young Children...

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Jes
  • 10 Replies
"A former teacher is suing the Cincinnati school district, saying she was discriminated against because of her rare phobia: a fear of young children. Maria Waltherr-Willard, 61, who had been teaching high school Spanish and French since 1976, said that when she was transferred to the district’s middle school in 2009, the children set off her phobia, causing her blood pressure to soar and forcing her to retire. Ms. Waltherr-Willard said that her phobia falls under the federal American with Disabilities Act and that the transfer violated the law."

Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/16/education/ohio-child-phobic-teacher-sues-school-district.html?_r=0
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:40 AM
I had to read this twice to believe it.

Seriously? Why even become a teacher if you're "afraid" of children?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Boy, people can get disability for about anything, can't they? What a very strange phobia.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Wow, what a complete idiot.

funglemuggle
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Lmfao.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Hmmmm

Since they transfered her previous program to an online course where exactly would they have placed her? I do not think disability applies here as she seems to have accepted the transfer, stayed in it for almost two years, and the other job was no longer. I will be interested to see how they rule it.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM
It seems most of the "charges" have already been dismissed by the judge...

Quoting stormcris:

Hmmmm

Since they transfered her previous program to an online course where exactly would they have placed her? I do not think disability applies here as she seems to have accepted the transfer, stayed in it for almost two years, and the other job was no longer. I will be interested to see how they rule it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Ah ok then.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting stormcris:

Hmmmm

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM
I'm trying to find more info. I just saw this on the news this morning so I went searching...

Quoting stormcris:

Ah ok then.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting stormcris:

Hmmmm

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I wonder what the other charges were, I looked through several articles but they do not seem to list those or I am missing them.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I'm trying to find more info. I just saw this on the news this morning so I went searching...

Quoting stormcris:

Ah ok then.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting stormcris:

Hmmmm

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM
I heard it on the news (HLN) but I can't find any details online...

Hmmmm...

Quoting stormcris:

I wonder what the other charges were, I looked through several articles but they do not seem to list those or I am missing them.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting stormcris:

Ah ok then.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting stormcris:

Hmmmm

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)