Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Southwestern Pa. hospital to stop baby deliveries

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:39 PM
  • 14 Replies

Posted: Jan 16, 2013 10:58 AM CST Updated: Jan 16, 2013 10:58 AM CST

WINDBER, Pa. (AP) — A southwestern Pennsylvania hospital will stop delivering babies after March 31 because its obstetricians are either leaving or refocusing their practices, and because hospital officials believe they can't afford it based on projected reimbursements under looming federal health care reforms.

The Windber Medical Center, about 60 miles southeast of Pittsburgh, is losing two obstetricians and two others are shifting their focus more to gynecology.

Hospital officials say the population of women of child-bearing age is dropping and that the number of births the hospital would be called upon to perform isn't enough for it to provide the service in the face of lower reimbursements under the federal Affordable Care Act.

The hospital delivered about 200 babies each year since restarting its obstetrics program in 2005.

Officials aren't sure how many jobs will be lost.

Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/20603065/southwestern-pa-hospital-to-stop-baby-deliveries#ixzz2IB2Hr4zS

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PortiaRose
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:40 PM
2 moms liked this
Fear mongering. The hospital could've been in debt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM

LOL, yeah, that's it.

Quoting PortiaRose:

Fear mongering. The hospital could've been in debt.

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there are other hospitals that are going to be able to pick up the slack. They averaged fewer than 30 babies a year. The hospital I go to averages that in one month. 

On the other hand, I haven't heard that the ACA is going to address malpractice premiums, which is what is really driving OBs out of hospitals.

rfurlongg
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Yep. Well said.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there are other hospitals that are going to be able to pick up the slack. They averaged fewer than 30 babies a year. The hospital I go to averages that in one month. 

On the other hand, I haven't heard that the ACA is going to address malpractice premiums, which is what is really driving OBs out of hospitals.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:12 PM
2 moms liked this
Numerous hospitals have ceased L&D except in emergencies. The small hospital in the county seat where I grew up stopped delivering babies about 10 years ago. The costs outweighed the benefit as the need for L&D just wasnt there. Fear-mongering.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I am going to go out on a limb here and say we are only at the beginning of what Obamacare is going to bring.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Good. Maybe the maternal and infant mortality rates will drop, if they are forced to have natural home births even if they're 'inconveniently' timed.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:18 PM
I love how right in the article it says "restarting" as in, they have previously not had labor and delivery. This has zero to do with any new legislation.
viv212
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:19 PM
That's what I was going to say. Obviously no one went there to deliver babies. It's probably not the best facility. Now with the new health law, instead of barely making profit (if they were) they may not be.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:21 PM

The first of many to come.  The detractors will attempt to say it is an isolated case.  Time will tell.

Thank GOD for midwives!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN