Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Girlfriend Died... Then found out to be hoax?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Jes
  • 8 Replies
To tell the story of Manti Te'o, Notre Dame's star linebacker, one must discuss his inspirational play in this September's win over Michigan State. Just days after the death of his grandmother and his girlfriend, Te'o racked up 12 tackles and recovered a fumble in a 20-3 victory over the Spartans. The following Saturday, after Lennay Kekua's funeral, Te'o made two interceptions in a 13-6 victory over Michigan.

It was a beautiful story.

It was also COMPELTELY false.

According to an article on Deadspin.com, not only did Te'o's girlfriend not die in the days leading up the Michigan State game, she didn't exist at all.

"On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te'o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia," read the statement.

Read the entire story here:

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1840415?articlePage=3
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:30 PM
WHAT??? Really??? I went the whole season thinking this was true, and I mean the WHOLE season, as did every commentator of every Notre Dame game televised, as they all commented on it. This is disgusting. And why wouldn't he have said its not true??? Something is off here.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Hubby is a big ND fan so we heard about this "girl" all season long...

How creepy...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:35 PM
He found out that she wasn't real the day after Christmas...

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

WHAT??? Really??? I went the whole season thinking this was true, and I mean the WHOLE season, as did every commentator of every Notre Dame game televised, as they all commented on it. This is disgusting. And why wouldn't he have said its not true??? Something is off here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Te'o's response...

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online," admitted Te'o in a written statement early Wednesday evening. "We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her. To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM

LOL saw that on a news ticker.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:04 PM
I posted the deadspin article earlier.

I don't buy for a moment he was hoaxed since he said their eyes locked at a Stanford game.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM
He "met" a girl at a Sanford game... Then continued the relationship online for a year...

The girl was obviously part of the scheme. Which is just crazy IMO.

Quoting talia-mom:

I posted the deadspin article earlier.

I don't buy for a moment he was hoaxed since he said their eyes locked at a Stanford game.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM

DH was tellling me about this earlier. Crazy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured