Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Define assault weapon

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM
  • 7 Replies
Assault weapon
This article is about the American legal and political term. For fully automatic military weapons, see Assault rifle. For other uses, see Assault weapon (disambiguation).
U.S. Firearms Legal Topics
Assault weapon
Assault weapons ban
ATF Bureau
Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act
Concealed carry in the U.S.
Domestic Violence Offender Gun Ban
Federal Firearms License
Firearm case law
Firearm Owners Protection Act
Gun Control Act of 1968
Gun laws in the U.S. — by state
Gun laws in the U.S. — federal
Gun politics in the U.S.
National Firearms Act (NFA)
Second Amendment to the Constitution
Straw purchase
Sullivan Act (New York)
Violent Crime Control Act
v t e
Assault weapon refers to different types of firearms, and is a term that has differing meanings and usages.

In discussions about gun laws and gun politics in the United States, an assault weapon is most commonly defined as a semi-automatic firearm possessing certain features similar to those of military firearms. Semi-automatic firearms fire one bullet (round) each time the trigger is pulled; the spent cartridge case is ejected and another cartridge is loaded into the chamber, without the manual operation of a bolt handle, a lever, or a sliding handgrip. An assault weapon has a detachable magazine, in conjunction with one, two, or more other features such as a pistol grip, a folding stock, a flash suppressor, or a bayonet lug.[1] Most assault weapons are rifles, but some are pistols or shotguns. Proposed legislation formerly under consideration attempted to define the term even more broadly to mean any semi-automatic firearm, any firearm with a detachable magazine, or handguns holding more than 10 rounds which includes the majority of all firearms,[2] but died in coammittee before even coming to a vote.[3] The exact definition of the term in this context thus varies among each of the various jurisdictions that limit or prohibit assault weapon manufacture, importation, sale, or possession, and legislative attempts are often made to change the definitions. Governing and defining laws include the now-expired Federal Assault Weapons Ban, as well as state and local laws. Whether or not assault weapons should be legally restricted more than other firearms, how they should be defined, and even whether or not the term "assault weapon" should be used at all, are questions subject to considerable debate.[4][5]

In more casual usage, the term "assault weapon" is sometimes conflated with the term "assault rifle". An assault rifle is a military rifle that utilizes an intermediate-power cartridge, and that generally is capable of full-automatic fire, where multiple rounds are fired continuously when the trigger is pulled one time — that is, a machine gun — or burst capable, where a burst of several rounds is fired when the trigger is pulled one time.[6] In the United States, full-automatic firearms are heavily restricted, and regulated by federal laws such as the National Firearms Act of 1934, as well as some state and local laws.

The use of the term "assault weapon" is also highly controversial, as critics assert that the term is a media invention,[7] or a term that is intended to cause confusion among the public by intentionally misleading the public to believe that assault weapons (as defined in legislation) are full automatic firearms when they are not.[8]

ShowDefinitions and usage

ShowPolitical and legislative issues

ShowAttributes in assault weapon definitions

ShowSee also

ShowNotes

ShowExternal links
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bellaamore
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Id say it is any weapon used to assault someone, be it a gun, knife, rope, brick, etc. then again, many will agree with the media and say "semi auto andfilly uto guns", not knowing they are two completely different things and that many guns are semi auto, or could be considered s uch by law, since one bullet comes out with one pull of thetrigger. As far as fully autos, ou have to go through the atf and other branches of federal government as well as pay more taxes to own them. Many people have never even seen a fully auto.

Oh, well..

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Quoting bellaamore:

Id say it is any weapon used to assault someone, be it a gun, knife, rope, brick, etc. then again, many will agree with the media and say "semi auto andfilly uto guns", not knowing they are two completely different things and that many guns are semi auto, or could be considered s uch by law, since one bullet comes out with one pull of thetrigger. As far as fully autos, ou have to go through the atf and other branches of federal government as well as pay more taxes to own them. Many people have never even seen a fully auto.

Oh, well..

Yup
jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Proposed legislation formerly under consideration attempted to define the term even more broadly to mean any semi-automatic firearm, any firearm with a detachable magazine, or handguns holding more than 10 rounds which includes the majority of all firearms,[2] but died in coammittee before even coming to a vote.

Wow, a definition that broad is scary. ^^^ Thank God it didn't get far.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:19 PM
My definition, sticking just to guns, is any weapon which holds a high capacity magazine and has a rapid fire rate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Quoting jehosoba84:

Proposed legislation formerly under consideration attempted to define the term even more broadly to mean any semi-automatic firearm, any firearm with a detachable magazine, or handguns holding more than 10 rounds which includes the majority of all firearms,[2] but died in coammittee before even coming to a vote.

This is WHY we get our panties in a bunch. Legislation has been tried that would in essence actually disarm most of the citizens.
jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting jehosoba84:

This is WHY we get our panties in a bunch. Legislation has been tried that would in essence actually disarm most of the citizens.

Well, before this post, I never knew there was so much leeway in the definition. To be honest, I havent done my homework on this proposal, so I've never looked at the wording or 'definition' of assault rifle. I guess I should have, because I already knew full automatic weapons are already illegal for civilians. In light of this revelation, I shall make buying a gun a priority with this years' tax refund.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Because we're talking about guns, and not any other weapon....I'll say every gun is an assault weapon. That's what I use mine for.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN