Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

House GOP release bill to reverse Obama’s pay raise for federal employees

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:33 AM
  • 31 Replies

House Republicans proposed a bill today that would cut the pay of Vice President Joe Biden and other federal officials, noting that the executive order that President Obama signed to raise their pay costs $11 billion in new spending.

“The President has once again demonstrated his penchant for unrestrained spending by giving federal employees an across the board pay hike and sticking the rest of us with the $11 billion bill,” Rep. Ron DeSantis, R-Fla., the lead sponsor on the bill, said in a statement today. “At a time when the average federal worker compensation is nearly double the median U.S. household income, and attrition from the federal workforce is already at an all-time low, we simply cannot afford this unnecessary and unilateral action by the President.”

Obama’s executive order raises Biden’s salary $225,521 to $231,900. House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, would see an $1,100 raise while the Senate majority and minority leaders would get paid an extra $1,000, according to Fox. “The House and Senate, however, voted down the congressional pay increase earlier this year,” the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee notes.

“The President’s pay hike even increases the salary for federal employees who receive poor performance reviews from their own supervisors,” committee chairman Darrell Issa, R-Calif., said in a statement. “As President Obama continues to say one thing and do another on deficit spending, it is appropriate for Congress to challenge his unilateral decision to spend $11 billion on non-merit based pay raises for federal workers.”

The executive order ended a pay freeze that prevented automatic pay raises from taking effect.

source
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamaofficer
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I wonder was the whole the point of their pay raise, was to make up for the SS that was not renewed.

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I will have to look at it again but last I checked this is not the way a pay raise can be enacted per the consitution. Article 1 Section 8 says congress not the president controls the money.

littlelamb303
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:15 PM
5 moms liked this

You know what?  I am sick of bashing the federal workers. My husband is one for over 22 yrs and HAS NEVER had a poor performance review.  He also has not had a raise in over 2 yrs.  Most federal workers ARE middle class and provide a service for people.  Don't compare the middle class workers to politiicans.  BTW, you cannot compare my husbands job to a shitty private sector job.  His job does NOT even exist in the private sector. 

Imacakebaker
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Good, they do not deserve a pay raise.  Obama has been busy with executive orders lately.

LadyBugMom09
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM
If 70% of us got a pay DECREASE because of tax hikes and having to pay "our fair share", THEY don't need a pay raise!! What is wrong with us????
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LadyBugMom09
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure your DH is a great employee, but just because he's a fed employee doesn't mean he should get a pay raise. Especially when most of us have gotten a pay decrease because of higher taxes. Sorry. That's just how I feel.

Quoting littlelamb303:

You know what?  I am sick of bashing the federal workers. My husband is one for over 22 yrs and HAS NEVER had a poor performance review.  He also has not had a raise in over 2 yrs.  Most federal workers ARE middle class and provide a service for people.  Don't compare the middle class workers to politiicans.  BTW, you cannot compare my husbands job to a shitty private sector job.  His job does NOT even exist in the private sector. 

joey125
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Boo hoo people making over 400,000 a year got a tax increase, the pity party has begun,

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM
3 moms liked this

Obama didn't sign an order to raise their pay.  He signed an order to lift the what, 2 year pay freeze.  Congress then, as part of the American Taxpayer Relief Act, stopped the lift of the pay freeze for members of congress.

Now, some of that might just all be semantics once you stop running around screaming that evil Obama is trying to pay himself more.

A more intelligent way to phrase the question might be, do federal workers deserve to have that freeze lifted?

MamiJaAyla
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

um... ladybug... federal employees are american paid citizens too and they got the same S.S. reinstatement as everybody else....

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Thank you. I hate it when peoole spread around misinformation.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Obama didn't sign an order to raise their pay.  He signed an order to lift the what, 2 year pay freeze.  Congress then, as part of the American Taxpayer Relief Act, stopped the lift of the pay freeze for members of congress.

Now, some of that might just all be semantics once you stop running around screaming that evil Obama is trying to pay himself more.

A more intelligent way to phrase the question might be, do federal workers deserve to have that freeze lifted?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured