Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

911 Call Not Put in System, Woman Dies

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:22 AM
  • 20 Replies

Ark. Woman Dies After 911 Call Not Put in System

By JEANNIE NUSS Associated Press
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. January 17, 2013 (AP)

An Arkansas 911 operator did not enter a call into a computer system that would have notified police and fire dispatchers of a mother and son trapped inside a vehicle in a pond, authorities said Wednesday. The woman died hours later, and her 5-year-old son was in critical condition Wednesday, police said.

The Little Rock operator who handled the call from 39-year-old Jinglei Yi has been placed on paid administrative leave while authorities try to figure out what happened. The operator has not been charged with any wrongdoing.

Yi called 911 about 8 a.m. Monday after her vehicle hit a patch of ice, went over a curb and ended up in the pond, Police Department spokeswoman Sgt. Cassandra Davis said. A county dispatcher transferred the call to the 911 operator, who spoke with Yi briefly before hanging up and contacting an ambulance service.

An ambulance was dispatched a few minutes later to the west Little Rock pond, but police officers and firefighters weren't dispatched until about a half-hour later - after the ambulance service called to verify that they were en route.

It's still not clear whether the delay played any role in Yi's death. A doctor pronounced her dead at a local hospital at 11:45 a.m. Monday. A medical examiner is expected to determine the exact cause.

Laura Martin, who directs the city police and fire departments' communications branch, said the operator did not enter Yi's call into a computerized dispatching system that would have alerted police and fire dispatchers. The operator also ended Yi's call instead of using a transfer option that would have allowed her to keep Yi on the line while contacting the ambulance service, she said.

"Proper protocol would be ... we have a one-button transfer switch where you get (the ambulance service) on the line and you remain on the line with them until you're sure that they have handled the call," Martin said.

On the 911 call, which The Associated Press obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, a county dispatcher describes Yi's situation to the operator in Little Rock while Yi remains on the line.

Then, Yi describes her location and says there is water in her vehicle.

"The water is in my car right now," she said.

The Little Rock operator asked Yi for her name and asked her to hang on.

"OK, ma'am, we're going to get some help on the way for you, OK?" the operator said.

"OK. Thank you," Yi said. Then the call appears to end.

Neither Davis nor Martin would identify the operator, who was hired in March and completed a six-month probation period in September

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LexRi0709
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Wow. Just wow. People like that dispatcher give all of them a bad rep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:40 AM
2 moms liked this

I;m not going to judge the operator until I hear exactly what went wrong.  I think it is unfair to condemn the operator until we know what happened

RLT2
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:42 AM

It's very sad. Hopefully it was just a terrible accident and not intentional neglect on the operator's part.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:23 AM

How tragic :(

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM
This

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I;m not going to judge the operator until I hear exactly what went wrong.  I think it is unfair to condemn the operator until we know what happened

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this

ALWAYS carry a glass breaker/seat belt cutter in your cars ladies. ALWAYS. They are not expensive and can save your life.

momto3B
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Human incompetence, human error.  Absolutely tragic, but very much a part of life. 

KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Does anyone know if the caller was the first to end the call and not the operator?   Humans make mistakes. Of all the calls that 911 operators take, only the mistakes make the news.    911 operators, firefighters, paramedics, etc...all work ridiculous hours, typically 24 on and 48 off.  My husband was a paramedic for years and it was uncommon for him to have to work a 48-72 hour shift because someone wouldn't show up for work. yes, they can nap, but they don't get peaceful sleep.  This is a terrible tragedy that could have been avoided, but until we address training issues and long shifts, these events will continue to happen.

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM

That's really really sad. T_T

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM

That's tragic

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)